An open letter to my brother

Dear Ryan,

I've been meaning to write this letter for quite some time now, but couldn't really find the right words to express how I truly feel. First off, I want you to know that I realize how hard it is to be my sibling, to be the sibling of a person with a disability. Because of my disability, and the attention it requires, you often "play second fiddle" and for that I am sorry. I am sorry that for the 17 years you have been alive, you have had to explain to your friends why I walk with canes or before new friends of yours come over, you have to explain that your sister has a disability. However, this letter isn't meant to be an apology, but rather a letter to tell you how much I truly appreciate you.

Ryan, you have always been there for me through the good times and the bad. You have always been my biggest cheerleader, always pushing me to be the best and most independent that I can be. And for that and so much more, I thank you.

You are the smartest, kindest, and most mature 17-year-old I know, you will go so far in life and accomplish everything you put your mind to, I know that you will succeed and I can't wait to watch you grow into an even stronger and smarter individual.

Over the years, I have realized just how lucky I am to have you as my brother. I know you probably don't hear this enough, but know that even when you feel like it sometimes goes unnoticed, I understand that you get frustrated, that you sometimes feel like you have to compete with me or rather, my Cerebral Palsy, to get Mom and Dad's attention and for that I truly am sorry. Please always remember that you are an integral part of our family, we wouldn't be the family we are, without you.

Simply put, I couldn't imagine my life without you. You are always there to make me laugh, comfort me when I am down, and you always manage to put a huge smile on my face. I truly mean it when I say that you are the best brother that anyone could ever ask for. Thank you for not only being the best brother, but also my forever best friend, biggest supporter, and confidant. I know you know this but always remember that as you have always been there for me, I will always be there for you, no matter what. You can count on me to always be by your side, cheering you on. It's truly such a joy to have watched you grow up into the responsible, kind young man that you are today, and I absolutely cannot wait to see what the future has in store for you, whether that's becoming a doctor, a business executive, or even the President of the United States, I will be there on the sidelines cheering you on. Always remember how much I love you!

Love always,

Morgan