An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Mom
popular

An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Mom

I know he must have been a handful growing up, and she deserves a million thank you's from me.

46012
An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Mom
Ashlie Lamb

I'm proud to say that I am one of the lucky ones. Although he isn't perfect (and I'm glad he isn't and I don't want him to be), I've found a guy I never want to let go of. But no matter how charismatic and wonderful I think he is, I owe it all to the woman who raised him. I know he must have been a handful growing up, and she deserves a million thank you's from me.

Thank you for teaching him respect—not just towards women, but to anyone and everyone he encounters. Listening to him address strangers with “ma'am" and “sir" melts my heart just as much as him holding the door open for me at the restaurant or complimenting me with “beautiful" instead of “hot".

Thank you for teaching him how to treat a woman. You and I both know that he puts up a front of being tough but he is honestly the biggest teddy bear anyone could ever meet. He has the biggest heart, and despite the many silly arguments he and I may have, not a day goes by that he doesn't make me feel loved or special.

Thank you for raising him in Christ. Being with someone who shares the same love I have for Jesus is one of the greatest blessings. I'll forever cherish sitting together in the church pew on Sunday mornings and our deep conversations about why God created the stars.

Thank for teaching him how to do laundry. I think you've saved me in the long run.

Thank you for teaching him the value of hard work. I don't think I've ever met someone with as much perseverance, drive, and dedication before, especially when it comes to washing the dishes.

Thank you for sitting through all those rainy football games. Thank you for giving up your weekends to watch basketball. Thank you for travelling hours to support his baseball career. Although I am most certainly not as much of a sports fanatic as he is, it's nice being able to watch and learn about his passions, as well as hearing stories from his "glory days".

But most of all, thank you for allowing me to date him and always making me feel like a part of your family. You are one of the sweetest women I know, and you have raised a once in a lifetime kind of son.

I know to you, he will always be the messy little boy who loves to fish and catch baseballs, and I want you to know that I love him with all of my heart, and because of you, I have found someone I wish to love for the rest of my life. I only hope to do as great of a job of loving and caring for him as you have done for his whole life.