An Open Letter To LGBT Kids During The Holidays

You are strong and you are not alone.

18
History

This holiday season is supposed to be filled with joy, excitement, and family time. For some people that's perfect and they love spending time with their families, but others, there are problems that can't be overlooked during the holidays. LGBT kids deal with those problems every day.

There are so many LGBT kids who feel like they can't come out to their family for many different reasons. If they did decide to come out, they might be forced out of the house or completely unaccepted by family members. Others simply aren't ready to come out to their family for any reason. I want to let these kids know that their reasons are all valid, no matter what the reason is.

If you are scared to come out to your family, I never want you to feel forced to come out. If you are dating someone and they insinuate that you have to come out in order to continue dating them, don't listen to them. Coming out is a path that only you can take. You are the only one who can decide what is best for you and it is up to you to choose when you take what steps.

I know a lot of you feel unsafe in your own homes. I just want you to know that you are valid. Your identity is valid. There is nothing wrong with you no matter what your family might say about the community. They are wrong. You are part of a loving community who accepts you for who you are and anything that your family might say to the contrary is not true.

I believe in you. You can do anything that you set your mind to and I promise that things will get better. I know that it doesn't seem like it right now, in the middle of the holiday season when you're surrounded by your family, but it really does.

I wish I would have known these things when I was struggling to come out. If I would have known the amazing support I would have when I came out, I would not have worried so much about it. I have been lucky with my friends and family. I haven't had the experience that you have had to deal with, but I'm telling you that I'm here for you and I will give you support in whatever way that I possibly can. Whether that's these words or future comfort. I want you to know that there is always someone out there who will help you through everything.

You can make it through the holidays. I know you can. Now go out and be the amazing person that you were meant to be whether you're still working on that person or have already found them. I believe in you.