To Kids Who Have Lost Their Father

To Kids Who Have Lost Their Father

An open letter to kids who celebrate Father's Day without a father.

15
To Kids Who Have Lost Their Father
Meredith Richards

To the kids who have lost a father,

Father's Day is coming and for some of us, it is a rather somber day. Many people do not have dads in their life because their father has passed away. For a lot of us, this makes Father's Day hard to want to celebrate or do anything at all on this day and for other's they have found a way to celebrate this day.

For kids like me who have lost their father, Father's Day gets celebrated differently. Now, I remember the good times I had with my dad and reflect on those. Reflecting on those memories gets emotional but it's all worth it when you get to remember some of the best times of your life. With these memories, I cry and laugh sometimes at the same time. I know I am thankful for the 15 Father's Days I got to spend with my father and I know he is looking down on me.

For people in the same situation as me, just know you are not alone ever. You are not the only one that has to find ways to cope on holidays, especially Father's Day. Also, know that your father is looking over you at all times and is proud of you no matter what! Do not be afraid to let your emotions out on days like this. Letting your emotions out is healthy. Believe me, I have done both holding in my emotions and letting my emotions out and I have always felt better letting my emotions out when I feel them coming. Also, do not be afraid of talking with friends and family about anything when it nears holidays because they are always willing to help you find something to help you cope with the day.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is just get through the day with some type of coping mechanism. Find something that works for you. I like being at work on holidays because it distracts me. A distraction is just one coping mechanism for a bulk of the day but as soon as I get home and into my room I begin to feel the effects of the holiday and honestly, I usually cry, which is ok. There are a lot of coping mechanisms out there, so you just need to find the one that works for you. Everyone is different, so not everyone is going to have the same coping mechanism and that is fine.

So on this day, do not feel alone and do what works best for you. Believe me, you'll feel better in the long run!

Sincerely,

A girl who has lost her father