An Open Letter To Foster Parents

An Open Letter To Foster Parents

Dedicated To The Kassem Family

8538
An Open Letter To Foster Parents

Dear Foster Parents,

First, let me start off by saying thank you.
Thank you for the good you are bringing into this world.
Thank you for putting yourself second so the child could be put first.
Thank you for continuing to provide for children you have no prior connection to or knowledge of.
Thank you for the time and extra expenses you have put into helping these children have a happier, more successful future.
Thank you for enduring and persevering through the obstacles you encounter as a foster parent.

Thank you for saving the children.

You'd think after reading that, that I myself was fostered at some point in my life, but it's actually the complete opposite. I grew up with two loving parents and continue to grow and gain success thanks to those same two loving folks. However, that's not the case for every child. Unfortunately life happens, things go wrong and innocent children end up in the program. Thankfully, there are people like the Kassem Family who step up and dedicate their life to helping others and, thankfully, their huge, caring hearts make up for the adults whose hearts aren't as big and whose arms aren't as wide open.

In the summer of 2012, my best friend and her family made an extreamly courageous and selfless decision to foster children in need and in September of 2013 were accepted into the program!!
As you may notice, it took a while for the program to accept them as prospective foster parents (due to the lengthy application requirements) giving the Kassem's plenty of chances and opportunities to change their mind about joining the program.

However, neither the immense amount of paper work or unimagined number of tasks that needed to be completed got in the way of this amazing family's decision. Looking back on it, I think it helped that all three of the Kassem children were on board with the idea. I asked the Kassem's eldest son Michael how he felt when his parents announced the idea of fostering and this is what he said; “When my mom and dad first informed me they were taking foster parent courses, I was very happy for them. We are a very open and warm family, so the fact that they chose to help children in need doesn’t surprise me. Prior to this experience, I never understood how much of a need there was for foster parents. My belief was that there are a few bad parents out there and for a period of time, they need to focus on fixing themselves before having their family. Very rarely did I believe there were such parents that would neglect and harm their kids to the point where the state would take away their children forever. After hearing some of the horror stories that my parents learned about in classes, reading the constant requests for help on the Kids in Distress page, and realizing how many foster organizations actually exist, my views drastically changed. There is a terrible problem in our society with parents mistreating their children and foster parents are in dire need. By the time my parents finished their course and became licensed foster parents, I had come to a whole new appreciation for what they were doing. I am both proud of and inspired by my parents for all of the kind and hard work they have done, but I am more so happy for the children who I now know never go a day without being loved.”

-Note: Due to the rules and regulations the foster care program has and is enforcing, the names of the foster children have been kept anonymous.-

On November 26th 2013, the Kassem family welcomed a beautiful baby boy into their family. At only 18 days old, baby E was brought home to the best possible foster family he could have been put in. While his situation was a tough one due to the background history, the Kassem's were determined to give baby E all the love and care he deserved.
In February of 2014, the Kassem's were blessed with welcoming yet another addition to their family, princess K. Now, princess K happens to be nearly a year and a half older than baby E and also happens to be baby E's big (biological) sister. While the Kassem's did not plan on fostering two children simultaneously, they handled the news and the situation with a tremendous amount of ease and grace. When I asked Allie about her feelings towards having not one, but two infants in the house she summed up her feelings perfectly by saying, "I'm glad we were able to keep them together. With the relationship I have with my siblings, I know the importance of the love between a brother and sister. I'll always be grateful that we were able to give that bond to baby E and princess K."
I myself am also grateful, although I'm grateful for a different reason... I'm grateful that baby E and princess K had all three of the Kassem siblings to look up to and learn from.

Iris and Dan Kassem, proud parents of my best friend Allie Kassem, have impressed and exceeded all limits and expectations when it comes to fostering. I have never witnessed a love so raw and so deep than the love that they show for baby E and princess K.
Before Iris and Dan, my image of the foster care program was a lot different and I can thank lifetime movies and abc family for that one. The difference? The Kassem family has plenty of time and attention to give to baby E and princess K which is great because those two things are what children at this age need most. Iris and Dan have done everything in their power to provide for these children as if they were their own and I could not be more inspired than I am when I think about the great things they are doing.

As previously stated, when I first heard my best friend and her family would be fostering, I was super excited and so stoked. I could not wait to meet their first foster child and spoil him/her with endless hugs and smiles... which is exactly what I did by the way.
As the days passed, the love grew and I had become attached to these children. My happiness and excitement for these infants excited me so much I forgot that they would eventually have to leave. I knew that the Kassem's fostering was temporary and so did they, however, it ended up lasting a lot longer than we had all expected.....

Imagine welcoming two children into your home, giving them everything and anything that you could to help better them and prepare them for a better future. Raising them as if they were your own, loving them more and more with every passing day. Hearing them call you "Mommy" and "Daddy", teaching them how to share, dropping them off at preschool, and then having to one day say goodbye for good. That's something I can't even begin to imagine, yet we all know that's almost always the case with fostering.

It's now been a year and nine months since the Kassem family welcomed baby E into their family and now it looks like they will be saying goodbye to baby E and princess K sometime within the next month. Ever since the decision was made in court, their house has been filled with every emotion known to man. I truly feel for this family, and not just because I have a personal connection with them, but because of how difficult and hard this must be for them. Like I previously said, we all knew this day would come, however we thought It would be just a few months after their arrival at the Kassem's house. Instead, it turned in to nearly a two year relationship. A relationship full of firsts. From their first words to first steps, to Frozen sing alongs and trampoline jumps, the Kassem's have basically raised these two children.
Baby E will be two years old in three months, and princess K is a little over three years old now. Time definitely flew by but I know that if the Kassem family was given the chance, they wouldn't change a thing.

"Three years ago we wanted to make a lasting difference in a child's life. Today, our foster children have changed our life forever." -Dan Kassem

I am so thankful to have this family in my life and know that anyone who knows another foster family would be bound to say the same thing.
It takes a lot to become foster parent. You must have courage, patience and you must also be selfless. A lot of people can not handle the pressure and complications that come with being a foster parent, which is why we must say appreciate and thank the ones who are.

So if you are, were previously, or intend on becoming a foster parent......

Sincerely,
Breanna

Dan, Iris, Michael, Allie, and Sarah Kassem,
I'd personally like to thank you. For everything.
From being a second family to me, to being a second family to baby E and princess K.
You guys never seem to fail. You do everything with such passion and glory, you are constantly trying to do the right thing, are always humble, and you guys can always be found helping others. Your family is built on love and trust and believe it or not, is changing peoples lives. You guys individually and as a whole inspire me in numerous ways and I love you all more than you know. Your family is truly amazing and I wish you all nothing but the best as you endure this painful goodbye and continue to do amazing things in this world.
You are loved and appreciated by so many. Thank you.