An Open Letter To Customers From The Girl Behind The Counter

We're here to help you!

16
Cardiff

It's that time of year again. The holidays are just around the corner, and who couldn't be any more excited. I mean what's not to love about the holidays. Getting together with friends and family and enjoying good food together while watching classic holiday moves on TV. But wait, there is one thing that quickly shatters that perfect thought and it's the dreaded holiday shopping, not for the shoppers but for those of us who work in customer service.

From Black Friday up until Christmas day is the most hectic time of year for those who work in customer service. We have to deal with stressed out customers who are in desperate need to find the perfect gifts for their friends and family, and I completely get that, however there seems to be a lack of respect from a good amount of those customers. The eye rolls and the insults being mumbled under the breath get old and really just shows pure immaturity..

So here are a few things to keep in mind when you go out and about for your holiday shopping:

1. Be patient. If you see that I'm juggling two customers ahead of you and the phone is ringing non stop, just be patient. Trust me, I hate waiting in lines as much as the next person, but if you can obviously see how busy it is then the best thing to do is wait your turn. Your friendly customer service workers will really appreciate it and will give you the best service you will ever get.

2. Be polite. Sometimes my job depends on me to say and sell things so be prepared to hear the whole speech I planned out in my head. Yes I know you probably aren't interested in a membership at the moment or that you may have too many credit cards to go ahead and add another one to the list, so a simple, polite no is all I need. I don't need the attitude to go along with it. I'm simply doing what I'm told to do.

3. Be respectful. When you are rude to those who work customer service, just know it can have an impact on us sometimes and pretty much shows the kind of person you are. It's hard to just bounce back to normal after getting yelled at or insulted by someone for doing your job.

You may think that I might be asking too much, but I'm not. It's just three simple ideas to keep in mind when doing your holiday shopping. Plus the holidays are all about bringing peace and joy into the world.

Also just remember this when you go shopping for whom ever this holiday season: That person in customer service is taking time out of their holiday schedule to assist you with yours. We're here to help you so being kind to us really leaves an impact because you never know what kind of customers we have been dealing with all day.