A Letter To My Future Foster Sibling

A Letter To My Future Foster Sibling

We love you already.
40

To the foster child that is going to live in my home,

I do not know if you are male or female.

I do not know how old you are.

I do not know when you are arriving.

I don't know where you come from, or what your past is.

All I know is this—you are in for a treat.

Growing up we didn't have a lot of money, but we were creative, so we were rich in experience. My mom was always creating scavenger hunts or games for us to play in the house— I hope you like adventure because that is how we grew up.

My parents are passionate about young people of all ages. They've dedicated their life to the education system and they have both been sports coaches at some point. With that being said they are already passionate about you—and they haven't even met you. I promise you if they weren't passionate they wouldn't have provided this opportunity for you.

Everyone is family. Kids and their parents are constantly coming over and we have social gatherings multiple times a week. The community is going to treat you as family—because you are now, no matter how long you are with us. This might intimidate you at first, but you will get used to it.

My parents and I will be passionate about whatever you are passionate about. Musically, athletically, academically, you name it! Whatever makes your eyes light up, they will support you 100 percent. That's just the type of people they are.

We aren't pushy—we aren't going to make you open up till you are ready. If you are never ready, that is perfectly fine. We accept you for you—and whatever it is you may or may not tell us.

I am almost a college graduate. Everyone who grew up in that house is grown up and moved out, so there is plenty of room. My parents have a lot of love to give—let them love you. It might take you a while to be comfortable, but they happen to grow on people.

I consider you a sibling already—no matter how long you stay. We cannot wait for your arrival!

Sincerely,

Your future foster sibling.