An Interview With A 13-Year-Old Influencer

I decided to interview my close family friend Joey Kish (@dopetricks16) and ask him about how he built himself a following with his soccer tricks.

473
Personal Photo

Joey Kish is a 13-year-old soccer player who has an Instagram account that has massed over 2,000 followers of people watching him do his "Dope Tricks". I was intrigued by the determination and the responsibility he has taken on being so young and managing his own little empire with little help from others. Since he is a close friend of mine I decided to interview him and get the inside scoop on how he does it.

What got you into the idea of starting a business on Instagram?

"I saw a girl doing freestyle tricks on Instagram, I thought it was cool". So he decided to do the same with his account (dopetricks16)

How does it feel to be recognized by your idols?

"It is really awesome", they shout Joey out and even direct message him to give him feedback, he says its really good motivation to learn and strive to be a better player.

How do you get video ideas?

Joey's mom is a big help when it comes to creating videos, she gives him ideas, so does Instagram, when he sees a trick he likes he recreates it for his own profile. "Always listen to your mom"

How did you start receiving PR?

"Rejection doesn't mean the end" Joey contacts all of the brands he wants to work with on his own, he currently has been in cahoots with a brand called Dribble Up, they have not offered him PR yet, but they have worked with him when it comes to being apart of commercials and helping them out in order to get to that higher status in that company and hopefully others in the future.

How does it feel to be so young with such a big following for soccer?

Joey loves the fact that people ask him for feedback on their own tricks and others give him feedback to improve his own skills. He loves the influence he has even if it is on a smaller audience in which he hopes to grow.

What is your plan for the future of this business?

Joey plans to reach 5,000 followers by the end of the year and would like to be able to do $1,000 of giveaways and products for his followers.