An Inspection Of Perfection

An Inspection Of Perfection

Why it is not okay for our society to prioritize perfection.

4
An Inspection Of Perfection
imgfave.com

Welcome to a world where people are not happy with themselves, where judgement forms bonds and friendships, and appearance can have a bigger impact on others and yourself rather than personality. What is commonly prioritized as a big problem is how we look. We strive to fit in, look like the hottest celebrities, have the latest trends, and have the “look” or “appearance” that is considered socially acceptable. So, the people who are proud of their individuality and look different from those we are used to surrounding ourselves by are considered “weird.” It all may seem very strange or even disgusting, but it makes up a good percentage of our society.

On social media you see people commenting on pictures saying “oh my gosh, you are perfect!” or “Can I just be you already?” All you see on Ads, TV, and social media is companies and products trying to change you to make you look better. Our generation is basically screaming we are not good enough or have to make a change because they know most have that ideal mind set “I have to look like this.”

Even when people are perfectly healthy and happy they still find a need for change because it isn’t up to the new standards. People will make themselves unhealthy by not eating and becoming depressed because they don’t think they are good enough, when they are. It is sad and disgusting how people can make others feel this way. Also they know we will spend money on products, which usually don’t last or are not realistic, because we somehow find a way to be desperate for this change.

Well keep in mind, most celebrities or models you look up to and idolize have time to spend and money to do what they want. They can work out all day, eat what they want, and afford plastic surgery. What we idolize isn’t real. How can we have an idea of perfection if it doesn’t exist? Well here is my question for you to think about, what is perfect? If you were to look it up you would find it says “the condition, state, or quality of being free or as free as possible from all flaws or defects.” Last time I checked we are human and there is nothing in this world that is perfect besides God.

We are all created to be unique, not like everyone else. Imagine what it would be like to live in a world where everyone looks the same, has the same interests, does the same things, and has the same talents; our world would be boring! There may be a lot of difficult things to deal with in this world but never let an image or acceptance destroy who you are or what you want to do in life. It’s like Justin Bieber says in his song, “and if you love the way you look that much, well darling you should go and love yourself.” We hear it all the time but does it match up “practice what you preach?”

Embrace your character and what makes you stand out, don’t hide it. Love yourself for who you are, what you look like, and live the life you love; because you only get one shot. Don’t let others take it away from you. Instead of letting peoples’ comments and concerns towards you bring you down and feel bad about yourself, feel bad for them instead. If they have nothing better to do than judge your life and wish they were someone else, they are the ones who need a reality check. If people are too concerned with appearance over life, they are the ones who should feel bad. Like Bruno Mars would say: “there’s not a thing that I would change, because you’re amazing, just the way you are.”

Here is my challenge for you, don’t judge people and get to know them before you make any accusations. It may be easier said than done, but you don’t know what someone has been through or who they are until you actually meet them. Remember, real beauty is on the inside, your personality and soul will last for a life time, looks fade away. I’m going to end this with one of my favorite quotes from Dr. Seuss, “Why fit in when you are born to stand out?” Lastly, love yourself for who you are, make your mark in the world, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!