An Explanation Of Why Good Friday Is Actually Good

What a sacrifice that the blood of Jesus lavishes upon us.
5

I hope you all had a good week and that you will have an even better one this week. As we are in the Easter season, I thought I would write on why Good Friday is actually good.

For those of you reading this who may not be familiar with the Church, Good Friday is where the Church contemplates and worships through Christ death on the cross. It is usually a somber service, encouraging and challenging the congregation to think about how important the cross of Christ is. It was physically hard, spiritually hard, emotionally hard, and the goal is to recenter ourselves on God who is the one who took all of our sins upon Himself.

So why is Good Friday good?

Growing up in the Church and still today in some ways the title Good Friday always interests me when you think about the subject material. Jesus only was on this earth for 33 years and He died the worst death that still today is an awful way to die. As I have sat in many Good Friday services I can't but help to think, why can this be good?

As I sit in the church sanctuary thinking over the past year, I am suddenly launched into the humbling reality that I am such a dark human being. I am lavished with sin and mistakes. As I sit there, I am sorrowful because I realize all the people that I have failed, and all the opportunities I have missed because I am a human that makes mistakes unwillingly but a lot of times willingly. The saddest part of all that, however, is that I can do nothing to change it, this darkness it is a part of me.

Here is why Good Friday is in fact good. In the middle of our sin and darkness, someone loved us so much that He saw past our mistakes and darkness and wanted to give us a new life. This man who gives us new life is Jesus Christ. I understand that most of you have heard this story so many times, but we have to understand why Good Friday is so good. It is good because while we were and while we are still sinners, Christ decided to love us.

If you are reading this and you have felt distant from God, just talk to Him. He is waiting, and He has paid the price for you. All that you need to do is simply be still and know that He is God.