An Encouragement Letter To The Overwhelmed Student

"Your plate is full...now it's time to eat."

33
ShutterStock

The beginning of the semester is like a tidal wave. Except that, the wave is filled with ravenous sharks. Also, you’re not even in the water. You’re more like an innocent bystander on the shore, trying to avoid getting wet. But instead…you drown. You’re also eaten alive as you drown. You also miss four deadlines because you were too busy drowning.

It is at this time that you need to remember to take care of yourself. Headaches come from drinking more coffee than water. Stress causes heart attacks. Ulcers form when you stop showing yourself enough love.

I think by the time you graduate you will look back at this and not recall the anxiety, the baggy eyes, and the tears. You’ll remember the study abroad it took you two weeks to apply for. The memories of the event you slaved away to coordinate. The club members that appreciated your endless efforts to fill your position.

I know you look at the students who seem to be comfortable just chilling most of the time and wonder how they do it. How are they so contented with no extracurriculars? How do they accept a “B” in a class that is easy to ace? Not everyone is wired like you are, and that’s okay. You need not compare yourself with those students. Matter of fact, do not compare yourself to anybody. You are you. It is up to you to make sure you are handling your business the way that it should be taken care of. Put your maximum effort into the things you can control and let go of the things that you can’t… this is how to manage the day.

De-clutter your heart, mind and working space. Your plate is full, so now it’s time to eat. Organize and prioritize. Accomplish tasks as if you had a checklist in front of you. Do the things that take the most priority first, then systematically work your way down the totem pole. If the last task doesn’t get crossed off, that is okay, you have done what you can with the time you had.

Remember that this is all for a purpose. Make sure that purpose is more than your self-gratification or to show the world how many hats you can wear. You are working this hard in school so that when all is said and done, you can make a positive impact in the world. You can handle it. You were born for this- now go get what’s yours.

Good Luck.