An Apology To The iPhone

An Apology To The iPhone

I'm sorry that I denied myself of your technology for so long.

22
An Apology To The iPhone
Zach Bruhnke

Even though I am a child of the 90s (the real deal: circa 1991), it took me awhile to enter the smart phone realm. At first I didn't think it was necessary, and then I was just being stubborn. I finally bought the most basic (and so, so slow) android I could find. This was during the hey day of Twitter and Instagram, mind you, not Snapchat. Then I upgraded myself when I moved back to Colorado last year to a Samsung III. I promised myself that I would never get an iPhone, despite the fact that the majority of apps I need/want do not work on Androids. After shattering the Samsung, I bought myself an iPhone 5 last week in an admittedly self-indulgent act.

I completely understand what the hype has been all these years.

I live in a desert, so sometimes service is difficult to find. Not only does the iPhone work in places that my Android(s) never did, it works quickly and efficiently. I am one of those people who are challenged by directions when on the road, so I am a huge proponent for any type of app that can direct me to where I need to go without totally distracting me while I am driving. I thought that my Google Maps was totally fine, even though half of the time I would arrive at my destination before it was done unfreezing for the third time. My iPhone has not frozen once when using it on the road with lack of WiFi or good reception.

Another very important thing to me is my camera. Of course the iPhone camera is amazing, and is capable of many things, but my Android(s) were, too. However, the quality on the camera for the iPhone 5 is almost flawless. I really appreciate that the multiple videos I take of my cats on any given day come out looking more clear, and less like it was covered in pixels. The storage space is also worth mentioning. I have the same amount of apps now that I did on my Samsung, but whereas before I could barely have more than two photo albums, I can now hold upwards to double digits. Though I cannot imagine ever actually needing that many picture albums, but now I have the option.

To be honest, I don't know if I will voluntarily participate in any of the numerous upgrade opportunities that Apple technology provides, but I will proudly admit to having been converted to the lifestyle. I would like to formally apologize to any friends and family that I judged when they obsessed over their iPhone. While it hurts my pride to admit that I was wrong, being able to choose from multiple emojis before sending a text is quite satisfying.

I get it Apple.