13 Amusement Park Safety Tips to Use This Summer

People from all over the world come to visit various amusement parks in America, spending time and money to enjoy all theme parks have to offer. In fact, according to Statista, revenue generated from amusement and theme parks in the U.S. is forecast to amount to over 22 billion U.S. dollars in 2019!

While safety is of the utmost concern at amusement parks, they are still subject to failure. Most recently, Volcano Bay, a water park in Universal Studios Orlando was closed due to "technical issues", which was believed to really be an wiring short that guests claimed to have caused electrocution.

While these stories seem to be few and far between (thankfully), you can take safety matters into your own hands by preparing before you hit the park. Make the most of your amusement park adventure by employing these 13 amusement park safety tips for your visit!

Make a Plan

Planning your trip before you arrive can help make you and your guests maximize your time and experience! Familiarize yourself with the locations of rides, bathrooms, gift shops, and restaurants. Have a plan for the day and in case you lose a member of your group or someone's phone dies, select a meetup location.

Protect Against the Sun

The sun's harsh rays can cause a sunburn, even when the weather is cloudy. Apply sunscreen generously before going outdoors, as it generally takes 15 minutes for your skin to absorb, recommends the American Academy of Dermatology. Reapply every two hours, especially if you or your guests are prone to sweating or are in the water.

Dress Appropriately

Since weather can fluctuate throughout the day, consider wearing multiple layers to keep yourself warm or cool. Jewelry, long loose hair, clothing with long drawstrings, and bagging clothing is not advised for theme parks; do without and choose to wear form fitting clothing and close-toed shoes. Hats are also a great option to protect your scalp, eyes, and face from sun rays!

Hydrate

A hydrated body is a happy body! Spending the day in the sun and walking around can quickly dehydrate your body. Bring a refillable water bottle or buy one once you're at the park to ensure you are drinking water regularly. If you perspire frequently, consider bringing a sports drink as well to replenish lost electrolytes.

Avoid Restricted Areas

They are usually restricted for a reason! Regardless if you lost your hat or want to explore beyond the beaten path, avoid restricted areas to prevent getting kicked out of the park or sustaining a serious injury.

Follow Water Safety

If the amusement park has water or water rides, ensure you have talked with your guests about water safety. It is important to know your party's swimming abilities prior to getting into the water so you can prepare adequately, whether that's wearing a life vest or choosing not to get in the water altogether.

Obey All Signs

Signs are rules are put in place to keep you and other theme park guests safe! Read up on the rules, follow them, and enjoy your day at the park.

Use the Buddy System

Amusement parks can get packed, especially in the summer months. Use the buddy system to make sure everyone is doing well and are along for the ride. Periodically checking in with your buddy about how you're feeling can help prevent an accident before it happens. Don't be afraid to ask how your buddy is doing!

Speak Up

If you see something, say something! Notify an employee if you see split food or drinks or if safety harnesses aren't working properly. Amusement parks have a legal obligation to maintain their property for the safety of guests. You and the rest of the guests will be thankful!

Listen to Your Body

A day at an amusement park can be draining, especially if you've traveled far to get there. Listen to your body and respect what it's asking. Never be embarrassed or ashamed if you need to sit for a few minutes or need a snack!

If you feel dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous, consider resting in the shade until you feel better. Never pressure your group to join you on a ride if they are feeling unwell.

Avoid Alcohol and Drugs

Alcohol and drugs can make a day at an amusement park dangerous and even deadly. Alcohol is a diuretic, which can cause your body to lose more water. On a hot summer day, this is exactly what you want to avoid, although with ample hydration and using moderation when drinking may be admissible.

Recreational drugs, on the other hand, should be avoided. In addition to being dangerous, they can make users feel adverse effects from amusement rides.

Take Frequent Breaks

Amusement parks offer much more than just rides! Theme parks offer lots of food, refreshments, and shops if you need a break. During breaks, check up on your water intake and fuel your body with healthy snacks.

Ensure Everyone Knows Who to Contact

Prior to hitting the park, everyone in your party should have each other's contact numbers. Consider starting a group chat so everyone is able to communicate with the group. If you're watching children, consider writing the parent's or supervisors phone number inside their clothing or making a temporary tattoo.

A day at an amusement park can and should be fun for everyone, but even a small accident could ruin your experience. Whether your group is visiting Disneyland, Six Flags, Cedar Point, or Universal Studios, safety should always be of the utmost importance. Prevent accidents before they happen by using these thirteen tips to ensure you have the best time possible!