22 Terms Every APU Student Should Know

22 Terms Every APU Student Should Know

"I thought we were going on a Del Taco run?"

451
22 Terms Every APU Student Should Know

If you stay in a place long enough, you'll notice that there are certain aspects unique to that place that don't exist anywhere else. Here at Azusa Pacific University, a unique aspect are the phrases and lingo that get thrown around all day, every day. For new students, it can get very overwhelming to absorb all these new words and sayings. But fear not! This article is here to save those new students from pretending to know what everyone is talking about, and for the returning students that just need to brush up.

(Disclaimer: Some of these phrases are also commonly known to many Christians, but since APU is a Christian school, some phrases will overlap.)

The 'A': The name for the big, white 'A' located on the mountain that stands for Azusa. Usually used in the phrase "Let's hike the A!" but since the trail to the 'A' is pretty steep, it usually just implies that the hike will lead to the cross, located next to the 'A.'

Awkward Steps: Referring to the stairs located on west campus, these steps are just plain awkward to climb up. "Should I make giant steps? Should I use two steps to get up one?"

The Caf: The nickname for the 1899 Dining Hall.

D.T.R.: Sometimes mistaken for "Del Taco Run," this is the abbreviation for the phrase "Define The Relationship." Of course, it's always possible to have a DTR while at Del Taco, though, it's probably not the classiest way.

D- Group: The shorter form of "Discipleship Group," it is a group of students that come together once a week to talk about their faith and have Bible studies.

"Doing life together": When you basically just co- exist with one another, but in a Christian way (which is up for interpretation).

G.I.G.: Short for "Guy invite Girl," it is a dance that usually happens during the spring semester at an off campus location.

G.Y.R.A.D.: Pronounced "guy rad," this abbreviation stands for "Get Your Roommate A Date." It is the act in which your roommate tries to set you up with a guy/girl on a date, which is usually done through a living area event.

I-Chapel (or I-Chaps): No, this is not a way for you to get chapel credit if you stream it on your iPhone. This is the convenient way to say the longer phrase "International Chapel."

Intentional: Although the simple definition of the word is "done on purpose, deliberate," APU takes it up a notch by also applying Christian values to it. I.e. "Live an intentional life," meaning make the most out of your life and don't let time pass you by.

J- Dubz: A gangsta nickname for President Jon Wallace.

Liturg: Pronounced as though there is a 'J' at the end, this is the short form of the phrase "Liturgical Chapel."

Les Femmes: A dance usually happening during the fall semester. In this case, girls are the ones that ask the guys. Every woman for themselves!!! (See "The Ratio.")

My Tie: Usually a living area event, it is when guys gather up their ties and the girls pick a random tie, not knowing who it belongs to. Whoever's tie they pick, that is their partner for an outing that happens at night.

P.T.L.: Short for "Praise the Lord!"

Paint Wars: An event that never happens. But if it hypothetically did, then it hypothetically would be with your Alpha group (a group you get put into as a freshman to meet other freshmen) and it hypothetically happens where you can't be found. These freshmen would hypothetically wear their white APU shirts that they get on orientation weekend. Hypothetically.

The Ratio: Refers to the extremely uneven proportion of the plethora of girls to the handful of guys.So you can see how this poses a problem for Les Femmes season.

Ring by Spring: When a couple gets engaged before the end of their Spring semester. Or what a number of girls (too many too admit) strive for.

SMITH HALL: This one is less about the meaning and more about how one should say the phrase. Usually done by the males that inhabit this living area, it is said as some would describe a deep yell, occurring after someone just mentions the name of the hall.

Tunneling: Another event that never happens. Hypothetically, it's when a group of students run through the tunnels located next to campus. But it never happens. Never.

Urge to Liturg: A phrase that people say to ask if someone wants to go to Liturgical Chapel. Ex: "Do you have the urge to liturg?"

The Zu: The shorter version of 'Azusa'; most commonly use during sporting events to refer to the home turf. ex. "Welcome to the Zu!!!"