American Horror Story: Roanoke - Chapter 7

Who is the next victim?

21
AV Club

Well, last time we checked in to the house at Sappony Road, the real terror was just getting started for the house guests. When Rory (Evan Peters) decided to venture into the house to avenge Audrey's (Sarah Paulson) nerves, he met a gruesome end at the hand of the nurses. R is for Rory, right? So what's next? And who will be the lone survivor? Let's see what we can find out!

The property begins to come alive as we begin to see ghosts pop up on video footage, but Sidney (Cheyenne Jackson) becomes more concerned with the inhabitants of the house and his precious ratings. As an assistant comes in with dinner and heads back out, the current cameraman then catches the nurses gutting Rory on camera, and urges Sidney to start paying attention to the screen. Hearing a scream outside, Sidney and the cameraman run outside to find the assistant on the ground with her throat cut. Agnes (Kathy Bates) makes an appearance in her butcher costume, cleaver in hand to murder Sidney and the cameraman.

In the house, Audrey wonders where Rory has gone. Upon further investigation upstairs, Audrey, Matt (Andre Holland), Monet (Angela Bassett), Shelby (Lily Rabe), Dominick (Cuba Gooding, Jr.) and Lee (Adina Porter) discover a massive puddle of blood where the audience knows Rory was murdered. But Audrey considers this a big joke and now believes that Rory has left her. Dominick, Monet, and Lee later discuss what they feel is happening in the house, especially with "Murder" written on the walls.

Agnes, after taking the camera from the production trailer, has found the root cellar and starts making videos of her own. In the voice of her character, she starts to talk about clensing the house and how she deserves to be recognized. Her lights start to go out in the cellar and once she is able to get a lighter up and running, she finds herself surrounded by the straw dolls. Obviously, the property is starting to reach out more.

Dominick and Shelby finds themselves alone for the first time since Dominick's arrival. Shelby still wants nothing to do with him, as she knows that what they did was a mistake. Matt comes into the room and tells Dominick that he doesn't care what they do anymore, they can be together as him (Matt) and Shelby are no longer together. It is later revealed by Dominick that he was sent to be the instigator of the group, like Puck from The Real World. Armed with a body camera, Sidney thought it best to send him in against Shelby's wishes to create the real drama.

Later, as Shelby is alone in her room, she notices the production camera sitting on the bed with blood on it. In the background, Agnes comes in and starts to torment Shelby. In a fit of rage, Agnes uses the cleaver and gets Shelby right in the shoulder. Crying on the ground fighting for her life, Shelby pleads with Agnes, but it is of no use. Agnes is enraged and completely crazy. When she's ready to kill Shelby, Dominick comes into the room and attacks Agnes, getting her away from Shelby. Agnes escapes, but Dominick is there to help Shelby up and with the assistance of Audrey, dress her wounds. Matt appears moments later and begins to help as well.

The group tries to contact Sidney, but they get no answer. Deciding to take matters into their own hands and try to escape the cameras, Lee, Audrey, and Monet take to the tunnels to escape the house and get help. They soon find out that Sidney has outfitted the tunnels with cameras, but they don't care. They need to get help and they need it now. While in the tunnels, they come to a low lit area where a gentleman in period clothing comes towards them. Audrey believes that it is Rory in his Edward Mott costume, but when the figure growls at them, Lee produces the gun that she has smuggled into the house and shoots the figure four times. The gun is useless as the figure gets up and starts to come towards the women. They flee and finally make their way into the haunted woods on the property.

When they finally get to the trailer, they are greeted with the gruesome sight of the dead production crew. With no cell phones and the only car available having a dead battery, they come in contact with Agnes. But Lee produces the gun one more time, shooting Agnes down. Their victory is short-lived as the apparitions of the settlers now come into view, making them run further into the woods. Audrey gets on the camera, addressing Rory and while professing her love and happiness with him, hopes that he finds them. A few drops of blood drip onto Audrey and when Monet points this out, they look up to find Rory strung up in the tree above them. Seeing more lights, this time flashlights, the women try to run again but are caught. This time, the Polk family has captured Lee, Audrey, and Monet.

Back at the house, Matt goes to visit Shelby and says that he did love her once, but the house changed everything for the both of them. Later, in an almost trance-like state, Matt makes his way from Shelby's room back down to the basement. Dominick follows him, even seeing that when he gets downstairs, he is talking to someone, telling them that he has returned. Dominick goes to wake up Shelby and when she goes downstairs, she finds Matt with the Witch of the Wood again. Grabbing a golf club, she proceeds to fight the woman off of Matt. Matt, on the other hand, tells Shelby that he is in love with the woman and she is the reason he returned to the house. Enraged, Shelby then turns the club onto Matt and beats him to death as Dominick tries to pull her away.

With a camera in their possession, the Polk family films as Lee is tied into a chair and tortured by the Polks. The real Mama Polk (Robin Weingert) comes onto the screen with a jug of oil. She has her boys cut away one of Lee's pant legs and starts to cover the leg in oil before cutting it. Later, Audrey and Monet are seen tied up and being tortured with a cattle prod. Mama Polk comes in with a plate of meat, which we know is Lee's leg, and forced to eat the meat or they will be tortured more.

In the house, Dominick goes to comfort Shelby, but advises her that once everyone returns she needs to turn herself in for murdering Matt. Shelby, still in a state of shock, is unsure of what to do. But the moment of calm is short-lived as Agnes, now bandaged up from removing the bullet from her shoulder, has decided to torch the house and "cleanse" the property. As Shelby joins Dominick at the window, they see the settlers comes into view. Agnes believes that they are there to follow with her but once she turns around, the real Butcher (Susan Berger) steps forward. Getting on her knees and pleading, Agnes then meets a brutal end as the Butcher puts the cleaver through her head. Shelby advises Dominick that there is no escape.

With Agnes and Matt now joining Rory, who's next? Who will survive the Blood Moon? Will Lee, Audrey, and Monet escape the Polk family? Find out more in next's week recap of American Horror Story: Roanoke!