'American Horror Story' Seasons Ranked From Best To Worst

Queue the creepy intro music.

46
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoITBs2g5K0/?taken-by=ahsfx
@ahsfx

Now that everyone should be thoroughly in the Halloween spirit I figured it was time to rank one of the most Halloween-worthy shows of all time: American Horror Story. What better time to watch American Horror Story than the spooky season itself? And with season eight currently premiering a definitive (alright, maybe not that definitive) ranking of all the previous seasons seems very appropriate.

1. Asylum-second season

American Horror Story's second season was insanely complex and dark (as pretty much all of its seasons are). It kept viewers invested in the characters' circumstances the entire season and had a great surprise of an ending. The season mingles some truth of what mental institutions were like the 1960s as well as creepy supernatural happenings. It had its weird moments, but what AHS season doesn't.

2. Coven-third season

This one is basically just as good as season two. It has all fun things you would expect of witches and all the dark things you would expect from American Horror Story, including ghosts, raising people from the dead, voodoo, and much more. It showcases plenty of boss women plus Stevie Nicks makes an appearance so that alone makes it awesome.

3. Murder House-first season

The premiere season of the now iconic show is thrilling. It gives you a perfect look at exactly what the entire show will be: dark, twisted, crazy, and edge-of-your-seat suspenseful. It kept viewers guessing and it had shocks every episode. Also, the classic haunted house was the perfect first season for a show like this.

4. Roanoke-sixth season

I've been told that many people didn't really like Roanoke. I thought it was good — for me it was a redemption season after two that I didn't think were that outstanding. The story, as always, was very original, very creepy, and very cool. It kind of played on the same ideas as Murder House but was different enough that it didn't feel like a repeat.

5. Hotel-fifth season

As stated above, I didn't love Hotel. It was good and I wanted to finish it, but I feel like parts of this season could've been dialed down a little bit. I did enjoy that the hotel and Evan Peters' character were based on H.H. Holmes and I think Lady Gaga and the rest of the cast did an amazing job. That being said, though, I think some of the other seasons were better.

6. Cult-seventh season

The seventh season of American Horror Story was...a lot. It wasn't bad per se, it was just very fast paced and plot heavy. This combination made a bit confusing (for me at least) as I watched it; that mixed with the fact that it would jump to the past sometimes made it even harder to follow. Don't get me wrong, the storyline was interesting and kept me wanting to know what would happen next, but its intensity could've reigned in just a little.

7. Freak Show-fourth season

I'll be honest, I hated Freak Show. Some people may really like this season but I feel like it wasn't as much of a horror story as it was a bizarre story. The whole thing was less intriguing and weirder. The acting was great, as usual, but season four was just too out there.