Why America Should Give Velma A Girlfriend

#GiveVelmaAGirlfriend
289

A couple months ago when "Captain America: Civil War" was released, #GiveCaptainAmericaABoyfriend became a big trend on social media. I have no qualms with giving Cap a boyfriend. That could be a more interesting take on the character, and it's not like Marvel isn't doing worse things to his character (Heil Hydra). However, I was quick to mock it on social media by posting a picture of Velma from Scooby-Doo on Instagram with the caption, #GiveVelmaAGirlfriend.

In one of those rare instances where a joke makes the joker think, I soon began to wonder why Warner Brothers hasn't taken the step to give her a girlfriend. For those not in the know, one of the earliest memes ever was the idea that Velma was a lesbian. It's such a common belief at this point that we as a society have accepted it as fact. However, in all the incarnations of the show, she has never had a girlfriend.

In fact, in both live action theatrical films based on the show, they tried hard to give her a boyfriend. Just to spite fans who hold that theory close to their heart. Those movies suck, and that aspect of them has always bothered me. Why are they so quick to nip that theory in the bud?

I understand that it is generally a children's and stoners' show. I am not saying she has to have raunchy lesbian sex on the show. But why not give her a romantic companion? If you look at the paradigm the Scooby-Doo crew has in place, she is the odd one out. Scooby has Shaggy, Fred has Daphne. Who does Velma have? Scrappy-Doo? I would certainly hope not, considering nobody deserves to be paired up with that hell.

Why not give her a girlfriend counterpart to help make the group feel more cohesive? It's not totally out of nowhere, character-wise, considering the theory has been popular for a reason. It also would be a big move in the proactive front without it coming across as cheap pandering. It's a concept fans have been clamoring for since the show's inception from way back in the day. It would be a nice nod to fans while also making the show feel fresh and modern.

All I am saying is that in 2016, the fact Velma still doesn't have any canonical girlfriend of any kind is rather dumb and lame. I truly feel it's a missed opportunity to really have that cool lesbian cartoon character. It wouldn't be as creepy as "give Marcie and Peppermint Patty from Peanuts a girlfriend;" they're 8-years-old for crying out loud. Velma is a grown as woman who should be allowed to love any person she wants. It's not pandering for the sake of pandering, and it could be a vital character enhancement tool. So, Velma's girlfriend, where are you?