Amal Alamuddin Won the Golden Globes...and Life

9
ABC News

When I grow up I would like to be Amal Alamuddin. Never mind that she's married to a smoke show and a half or that she has an impeccable sense of style and voluminous hair seemingly crafted by angels. Minor details compared to the fact that she is an accomplished barrister with degrees from Oxford University and the New York University School of Law. Amal Alamuddin has sparked a revolution: the rise of the trophy husband. Sorry George. 

For starters she killed it in those white gloves. When asked on the red carpet who she was wearing, she opted instead to discuss the "Je Suis Charlie" button pinned to her purse to pay tribute to the men and women killed during the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack. Inside the Beverly Hilton Hotel Amy Poehler and Tina Fey poked fun at the fact that Clooney was receiving the prestigious Cecil B. DeMille award for his work in film. "Amal is a human rights lawyer who worked on the Enron case, was an adviser to Koffi Annon regarding Syria and was selected for a three-person U.N. commission investigating rules of war violations in the Gaza Strip. So tonight her husband is getting a lifetime-acheivement award." Amen, amen.

The 36 year old was born in Beirut, Lebanon and is fluent in French, Arabic and English. During her time at NYU she worked as a student law clerk for now Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor while she was a judge at the U. S. Court of Appeals. 

Meanwhile I have to regularly Google words like definitely and especially because I still don't know how to spell. Plus I worked as a lifeguard last summer. Going places for sure. 

Not only did she pass the New York Bar exam, she also passed the Bar of England and Wales. After graduating from NYU she practiced international law at Sullivan & Cromwell in New York for three years only to move onto the Doughty Street Chambers firm in London. Her clients includ Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and former Ukrainian president Yuila Tymonshenko. Additionally, she's the legal advisor to the King of Bahrain and adviser to Kofi Annan, the Joint Special Envoy of the United Nations and the Arab League of Syria. All in a day's work really. I think it's safe to say that George Clooney married up.

"Amal, whatever alchemy brought us together, I couldn't be prouder to be your husband," he said Sunday night. 

*Cue tears