I Am A Feminist, And It Is Okay
Politics

I Am A Feminist, And It Is Okay

Feminists aren't these man hating women that the media wants them to be portrayed as.

61
I Am A Feminist, And It Is Okay
AutoStraddle

When women say they are not a feminist my mind is completely blown! I can't wrap my mind around the fact that other women, especially younger women like myself, aren't feminist. It seems as those women who say they aren't feminist, think that feminist hate men. Yes, while there are those women who claim they are feminist and they hate men, they're really not feminist.

Feminists want to be equal to men, right? They want equal pay, equal opportunities in the workplace, and they want the glass ceiling to disappear. Feminist fight for these rights because women are still seen as inferior to men.

There is another article called "I Am Not A Feminist, And That Is Okay" that talks about why the author feels like she doesn't need a feminist. The author talks about how feminist don't want women to be the nurturing one in the relationship. That's not true at all. Feminist fight for women's rights to do as they please. They can still "choose to stay home and be a mother because that is the hardest job in the world " and "like cooking" or "take your husband's last name". Feminist fight for it to be okay if you don't want to choose to stay home or if you don't like cooking or if you don't want to take your husband's last name. There are plenty of feminist out there who do all the things a traditional stay at home mom does.

The author also says, "but I do believe that the man is the head of the household. The man is to be the provider, protector, and leader of his family " and that, I can completely disagree on. What about families that have two moms or two dads or what about single parents? Feminist empower other women. They want other women to believe that they can stand on their own and they can be the head of the house if they need or even want to be. If a woman chooses to be that stay at home mom and not the head of house, then that's okay, but it's also okay for women to be the head of house too.

The last topic the author touches on is being traditionalistic. A feminist can also be traditionalistic. They don't have to be like the stereotypical feminist and be super modern. They can still have traditional values if they please. One thing feminist fight for is for women to do as they please.

And lastly, feminists also fight for women's rights. Women's rights for equality to men, women's rights to their own bodies, women's rights in the LGBTQ community. Feminist are fighting every day for women to continue to have the right to do what they want with their bodies. Feminist want women to continue to have the right to have an abortion or to say no to sex and then not be blamed if they are sexually assaulted. Feminists want women in the LGBTQ community to be empowered and be supported.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2F07%2F636194279275567681228598421_feminism-europe.jpg%3F1268065909&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=18&h=349cf75af828cf0eab70116446de6653d9bc841668ff73cd25e8d8d8b2996f8c&size=980x&c=3476036600 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F01%252F07%252F636194279275567681228598421_feminism-europe.jpg%253F1268065909%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D18%26h%3D349cf75af828cf0eab70116446de6653d9bc841668ff73cd25e8d8d8b2996f8c%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3476036600%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]

Feminists aren't these man hating women that the media wants them to be portrayed as. Feminist are just trying to push for the best. A real feminist won't drag another woman down for not wanting to be the head of house or wanting to take care of their significant other. But to me, it's still mind blowing when another woman isn't a feminist.