To The Girl Who Always Feels Left Out, You Are Not Alone
Social Life

To the girl that always feels left out, you can't be everything for everyone, and that might be the very thing holding you back from getting closer to those you love most.

760

You feel like everyone must see it too. You're at the edge of all the pictures, you're stuck behind on the sidewalk and you are always in need of a partner for group work, even though some of your best friends are sitting right there.

You're always the third-wheel in the group. Or the fifth-wheel. Or maybe it should be a universal law that you have to make friend groups in even numbers.

When I was in third grade, I was the girl that got invited to the slumber party after the girls had been hanging out all day.

When I was in tenth grade, I was the girl that didn't know there were ten other group chats. I only thought there was one.

It's days like these where you feel like you're never really close to anyone, that you are always the second-rate option for those you love.

I have a secret: we all feel that way.

The truth is that your role in your friendships is unique, and you can't realize how important you are to those around you.

Your friend never asks you for fashion advice because she knows she's going to have to call you and discuss all the events after the party because you always, always have the best advice for dealing with the drama.

Your other friend might only seem to invite you to lunch or to shop instead of doing a late-night call, but the truth is you just help her forget about all of her problems in a way no other friend can.

Your friends picked you because you gave them something that enhanced their life. It could have been your humor, love or support. It could have been the way you always turn that situation into making sense or knocking them on the head when they do something stupid.

But they picked you for one special thing.

We have a tendency to forget those moments where we are someone's number one choice because we're so focused on being everything for that person at that moment. This is what is supposed to happen.

Yet when the moment has ended, we forget about that critical role we played for someone else, and we can only wonder at why we're not included in their next moment.

No one is expecting you to the fashionista, the funny girl and the shoulder to cry on. Find your niche. Don't remember that time you walked alone on the sidewalk or you missed the invite; think about all of those late-night drives and long phone calls where you were that friend.

Instead of feeling like the next-best, become better at what you already give to other people.

Because no one is asking you to be everything for them, just really good at that special something.