Michigan Trademarks
Education

The ABCs of Michigan

Four out of five Great Lakes prefer Michigan, and you should too.

126
The ABCs of Michigan
Flickr

Here's an alphabetic guide to the greatest parts of the nation's number one state.

A- Ann Arbor.

Michigan Alumni

Home of the Big House, the University of Michigan, Washtenaw Dairy, and Zingerman's Deli. Also home to some of the worst traffic, stay away from State Street on gameday.

B- Bronner's CHRISTtmas Wonderland.

Pure Michigan

The world's largest Christmas store. Open 361 days a year. Ornaments. Trees. Santa. Happiness. A Christmas Emporium that even Buddy the Elf could take notes on.

Other notable B's: Battle Creek, Big House

C- Coney Island

Also known as God's gift to the world. Coney dogs. Gyros. Chili Fries. Breakfast all day. The greatest restaurant of all time, a TRUE Michigan staple.

Other notable C's: Construction, corn on the cob, cherries, Craig's Cruisers, Central Michigan University

D- Detroit.

Pure Michigan

Detroit vs. Everybody. The hub of sports, food, culture, bakeries, Greek restaurants, and the true heart of Michigan. It's on the comeback. Don't count the Motor City out.

E- Euchre

Giving a whole new definition to trump. Always remember, if you turn down a bauer, you'll lose for an hour.

Other notable E's: Eastern Michigan University

F- Frankenmuth

A Bavarian Paradise. Home of the greatest chicken in all of America, classic German food and entertainment, craft breweries, museums, and of course, The Cheese Haus.

Other notable F's: Ford, Faygo

G- Grand Rapids

nacwa.org

Also known as Beer City, USA. One of the most up-and-coming cities in the Great Lakes State, filled with universities and colleges, semi-professional sports teams, zoos, museums, and river side breweries.

Other notable G's: Grand Haven, Gordie Howe

H- Hell

Hell, Michigan. Literal Hell on earth. No fire or demons in this city, just peaceful canoe and kayak rentals and some of the best campgrounds in Southeast Michigan.

Other notable H's: Huron (the lake and the county), hand maps, Holland

I- I-94

Trips to Chicago are impossible without this Michigan highway. Even though it runs through all the Midwest, we claim it as our own. 94 hits all the major southern cities in Michigan, from New Buffalo to Kalamazoo to everyone's favorite exit, Paw Paw (yes, that's a real place). Just keep an eye out for the construction/lack of construction.

Other notable I's: Illich Family

J- Joe Louis Arena.

Detroit Metro Times

Or "The Joe." One of the most historically claimed ice rinks in all of America. Home of "Fight Night at the Joe" and four legendary Stanley Cup teams. RIP, Joe. Little Caesars Arena might have all the bells and whistles, but my heart still lies under the Gordie Howe Entrance.

K- Kid Rock.

Reddit

Who else would schedule five consecutive concert dates in Detroit? Let us also never forget the iconic picture of the Metro-Detroit native supporting his favorite sports team.

Other notable K's: Kroger, Kalamazoo.

L- Little Caesars

You'll probably find more LC's in Michigan than McDonald's. Everybody loves a five dollar pizza and the legendary crazy bread. Pizza Pizza!

Other notable L's: Lakes, limestone, lighthouses, Lions

M- Mackinac Island

Not Mack-in-ac. Mack-in-AWWWW. Only the greatest vacation place of all time. Not just in Michigan, but the entire country. Horse-drawn buggies, fudge, bicycles, The Pink Pony, The Grand Hotel, more fudge, the Mighty Mac, and miles of Pure Michigan shoreline.

Other notable M's: Meijer, Michigan left, Motown, Michigan State University

N- Northern Michigan.

Traverse Magazine

Where Michiganders go to vacation. Nothing like a family caravan to the cottage up north. Also featured lyrics to the second anthem of Michigan native, "All Summer Long" (the first obviously being Journey's Don't Stop Believin').

O- Ohio

O-H-I-O? More like O-H-N-O. Every Michigander can agree that Ohio is the armpit of the United States.

Other notable O's: Ontario (Lake, not the province), octopus tossing, "Ope"

P- Potholes

Michigan potholes will have you apologizing to your car almost every day. They will literally eat your car. Swallow it whole.

Other notable P's: pasties, party stores, Petoskey, Paczki Day, Pure Michigan

Q- Quicken Loans

Headquartered in Detroit, MI. Also, the only commercial that you'll see on the Speedway gas station TVs (and the only thing in Michigan that starts with a Q).

R- Rivalry

247sports.com

Go Green? Go Blue? There's a civil war brewing between the Wolverines and the Spartans. The one thing everyone can agree on? Ohio State is the worst.

Other notable R's: Red Wings

S- Superior

The name the coldest Great Lake and what Michigan natives call Michigan when comparing it to Ohio.

Other notable S's: superman ice cream, Spartans, Speedway, Saginaw, Steve Yzerman

T- Telegraph

Where you go to find just about the worst traffic in the state. Also probably holds the record for most Michigan lefts in a row.

Other notable T's: trolls, Tim Allen, Traverse City, traffic, Tigers

U- Upper Peninsula

flickr.com

Known for its snow, universities, and the great cities of Marquette and Sault Ste. Marie. Other than that, there's just about nothing but miles and miles of beautiful, untainted, Pure Michigan land.

Other notable U's: up north, U-turn, University of Michigan

V- Vernors

Signature Michigan pop (not soda, only pop). You can find one in every grandma's house or conveniently in the fridge when you're sick.

W- Winter

Pure Michigan

One of the two seasons of Michigan; the other being construction.

Other notable W's: Wolverines, Western Michigan University

X- Xing

Deer crossing to be specific. Just wait for November 15th and the start of Deer Hunting Season and you'll have nothing other than potholes to worry about on the road.

Y- Ypsilanti

Ann Arbor's ugly cousin. Michiganders pride themselves on the ability to say Ypsilanti 12 times fast and laugh in the faces of those who pronounce it incorrectly.

Other notable Y's: Yoopers, Yost Ice Arena

Z- Zoo

As in the Detroit Zoo. Have you seen the Polar Bear Tunnel? Yes, you're reading this right. Polar. Bear. Tunnel.

Other notable Z's: Zingerman's, Zehnder's chicken dinners.