Almost relationship, love, unrequited love
Health Wellness

If I Had A Choice In Who My 'Almost' Was, It Would Still Be You

"What's the saddest word in English?" "Almost."

546
Melissa Hadzic

It almost happened, I almost did it, you almost showed it, we almost made it.

It's the word that a lot of people hate. There is nothing worse than knowing you didn't do enough or they didn't do enough. It is a horrible word all around, in many different scenarios. Such a short 6-letter word that can mean so much to a person.

Never did I think that this word ever mattered, at least I never thought about it hard enough until recently. And when that moment came, I realized that it is the cruelest word I have ever come in contact with. That one 6-letter word now haunts me.

'Almost'

You meet a person and it's an instant connection. Something you've never experienced, something you once never believed in prior to this encounter. As if you had known them for your entire life. You balance each other out.

Things almost ended up how they were supposed to be, things were almost perfect, we almost made it work.

I couldn't comprehend, or understand, what exactly had gone wrong and how it went from perfection to frustration. From days and nights together to barely a word spoken between us. From long conversations to reserved thoughts and unspoken words.

The once familiar face and strong embrace I had grown so accustomed to daily was gone, just like that. Like I never mattered, just like I almost mattered. The endless hours and days that were spent with them are gone; erased.

The snuggles, the kisses, the endless sarcasm between you both is gone. Just. Like. That. Like it never happened.

It's as if you just keep missing each other. One person is on one page and the other is on the next already, and then vice-versa.

In the end, you're left there still wondering what went wrong, if anything ever was right, or if it was all in your head. You're left there still rooting for the fantasy of an "us."

I think 'almost' hurts more than an actual break-up. There's no explaining to someone about why your hurt, or why you're so upset.

How can someone be so hurt by someone they never actually had.. you just …

'Almost' did.