Allentown Residents Campaign For The Future Of Their Community

Residents push the city of Buffalo to stop the growth of bars in the Allentown neighborhood.

107
Mike Desmond

Numerous residents in the Allentown neighborhood of Buffalo are taking a stand against the growing presence of the alcohol industry in their neighborhood, demanding that the city of Buffalo work to reduce the number of bars and other alcohol establishments in the area.

The number of alcohol establishments in Allentown has been growing at an alarming rate. Over the past 25 years, the number of bars and other liquor selling outlets has more than tripled. The mid section of Allen street has 17 alcohol establishments. The alcohol industry’s presence in the neighborhood has damaged the quality of life for people living there. This has included residents disturbed by the noise and misbehavior of drinkers. Buffalo City Council member David Franczik has stated that these bars have resulted in increased public urination, vandalism, public disturbances, fights, and other criminal activity. This alcohol-fueled violence and crime has included the killing of a man last November. Jonathan White, chair of the Allentown association’s crime and safety committee, has stated that not only have these establishments damaged the quality of life through drunken misbehavior, but have done so by pushing out small businesses and other outlets which had previously attracted visitors and tourists.

Since at least last November, members of the Allentown Association have been calling for the City of Buffalo and the State Liquor Authority to not approve any new licenses in the area and work to reduce the number of bars overtime through attrition. The Allentown Association has been trying to convince the city of Buffalo and the State Liquor Board to cooperate with them on this matter. They have had some partial success on this matter, with the city refusing to renew the liquor license of one bar. Though it has yet to be seen whether the city of Buffalo will introduce a comprehensive strategy to reduce the number alcohol establishments in Allentown and other neighborhoods.

The City of Buffalo needs to take stronger actions to deal with the problem of alcohol and alcohol establishments within the city. The problems that alcohol establishments have brought to Allentown are present in other neighborhoods throughout the city. For instance, a bar in East Lovejoy was recently shut down following a shooting. But even when there aren’t fights and shootings, alcohol establishments are still selling a poisonous product which impairs mental functioning, produces a vast array of illnesses, kills users, and produced vast social, medical, and economic damages that the rest of society has to pay for. While the Allentown Association has made some progress in pushing back against the growth of the alcohol industry, more needs to be done. It will take continued efforts from active citizens and groups to push for good policies and work to get these alcohol establishments shut down. By shutting down these alcohol establishments and working to reduce drinking, we can work to reduce the harm alcohol, improve quality of life areas presently damaged by alcohol establishments, and open opportunities for the rise of productive businesses and features which will have make a more prosperous city. Let’s work toward making Buffalo a dry city.