‘All The Bright Places’ Has A Hopeful Message That Will Add Some Light To Your Quarantine Movie-Watching

It's a must-add to any Netflix binge watching session, trust me.

15

Since I'm pretty much stuck at home for who-knows-how-long, I've done my share of movie-watching to pass the time. And since I'm sure a lot of people can relate, here's my binge-watching advice: add "All The Bright Places" to your list of movies.

"All The Bright Places" just came out this year, and it's based on the book by Jennifer Niven with the same title. If you haven't read the book, it's one of my favorites, too, and I would recommend it wholeheartedly if you enjoy reading. I remember reading it a few years back and falling in love with its message and characters, so when I saw it as I was scrolling through Netflix, I immediately jumped at the chance to watch it as a movie adaptation. And truly, it lived up to the expectations that I had for it.

I'll be honest, I might have walked myself into a self-fulfilling prophecy in liking the book so much that I willed the movie to appear just as good as I had hoped, but who's to say. The movie does a pretty decent job of staying true to the plot of the book, though, which is always a plus for any novel-enthusiast, although there are some slight missteps.

In addition, it takes on hard topics like dealing with loss and mental illness, which are dealt with by the main characters, Violet and Finch, respectively. The movie speaks to the often-overwhelming feeling that anyone dealing with any mental health issue struggles with on a daily basis. Specifically, it highlights the hidden struggles and difficulty in finding any sort of outlet or relief that people with mental health issues face all too often. It's not a perfect representation of mental illness, but it's definitely a step in the right direction in addressing its effect on people.

But it's not a sad story: with the help of a well-developed plotline and inspirational characters to drive home the main message, it proves to be a narrative of finding hope in difficult times. It's ending brought me to tears, but it's hopeful, nonetheless.

So, in the midst of all of the coronavirus chaos, movies tend to be a go-to with everyone's newfound free time. If you're looking for a way to pass the time as well as a reminder of all the beauty that life still has to offer, watch "All The Bright Places." Movies can be a way to get us through these tough times, and as Violet Markey so beautifully reminds us in the movie, "There are bright places, even in dark times."