all the boys I've loved

To All The Boys I've Never Loved

This is for you guys.

98
To All The Boys I've Never Loved

The new Netflix film, To All the Boys I've Loved, based on Jenny Han's best seller novel, seems to be trending, in terms of entertainment. Almost every girl (and guy) I see on campus has either seen the movie, is planning to watch it or is in some way talking about it. The film and book tell the story of a teenage girl who has written letters to all the boys she has ever "loved", and somehow these letters get sent to their respected receivers and her own love story begins.

I know the reason this movie is popular is not due to its relatableness, however being the person that I am, I cannot help to look at it in a realistic approach. (That being said, this is coming from a girl who has never been in a formal relationship, so be warned) This is basically my sad love life:

Dear all the boys I've never loved,

You probably don't know who I am if I played my cards right. I'm probably that no-name face from the past that you barely think about. Or maybe just another number in your phone. To put things straight, there's no way that I could have ever loved you, we never dated. We were close, we talked, chatted, laughed and argued, but we were never the d-word. And even if we were (but we weren't), the topic of love would never come up so early either way. By this point, you're probably wondering who you all are because no, this letter is not addressed to simply one person (this is not a love letter! Hence, the salutation). To count: there's Kevin from maths class, Mark, the childhood best friend, Derek from English class and Dylan, Derek's friend. (disclaimer: real names are not provided on the basis of privacy).

Now, this letter is not designed to repeatedly say I never loved you, rather I wanted to thank you for the lessons I learned because of you. Firstly, Kevin. We met in maths as I was assigned the seat next to you in class. To be honest, I'm not quite sure why I lived. From my memory, I'm guessing it had something to do with you helping me with homework and that you were quite good looking. Now, I know what you're thinking, you're probably saying what lesson could I possibly learn from this situation. Well… there were two: 1. Don't lie about being bad in a subject and 2. Don't fail a class to get a guy to help you. (My 9th grade GPA suffered because of those decisions).

Secondly, Mark. We are best friends since forever, from diaper days to college applications, we have been through a lot. We know everything about each other, from our favorite drinks right down to our shoe size. Despite being so compatible, we are never meant to be (partly because you just see me as a friend). But you taught me growth. Being by my side from thick and thin, you helped me face my challenges and reach my goals. I would not be where I am not if it wasn't for you.

Lastly, Derek and Dylan. You guys are best friends, the bro duo. Falling for both you wasn't part of the plan yet somehow it happened. You two were probably the closest to dating I ever got. Late night chats, hugs and all that, to be honest, you guys didn't teach me anything. We were just really close.

And with that, I would just like to say thank you (or hi if thank you cannot be applied to our situation) for all you have done for me and for me. My high school love life would have been incomplete without all of you.

From the girl who never loved you