All Of Madonna's Studio Albums, Ranked

All Of Madonna's Studio Albums, Ranked

We're celebrating the Queen of Pop by ranking all of her studio albums!

1031
All Of Madonna's Studio Albums, Ranked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0cfZczo4yk&ab_channel=Madonna

For nearly 40 years, Madonna has dominated the music industry. Her catalogue of hits and outstanding live performances earned her the title, Queen of Pop. Throughout her career, she's pushed boundaries and broken down barriers. Her message of empowerment has paved the way for the many artists that came after her. Madonna is the best-selling female artist of all time.

In the past four decades, Madonna has released an impressive 14 studio albums. All of them have shown an interesting side to her artistry and inspired legions of fans in the process. Here's our ranking of every single one of them!

14. "MDNA"

This album's strengths are the deeply personal lyrics. Having just gone through a divorce, this album saw Madonna expressing her feelings over the failed relationship. Songs like "I Fucked Up," "Love Spent," "Gang Bang," and "Best Friend" are the best parts of this project. The album fails, however, in the other half. Madonna's attempts at lighthearted fun feel generic and uninspired. It makes for an overall rushed album that should've been given more time to develop.

13. "Music"

This is an extremely short album that combines an urban sound with a rural one. Madonna teamed up with Mirwais Ahmadzaï to bring something fresh and inspired. This sound evolved from her previous album, producing techno, electronic music with an emotional center. This album spawned hits like "Music" and "Don't Tell Me." It also includes the fan-favorites, "Paradise (Not For Me)," "Impressive Instant," and "Gone."

12. "Ray of Light"

With "Ray of Light," Madonna achieved an artistic rebirth. Inspired mostly by spirituality and her daughter's birth, this album gave the public a look at a different side to the superstar. She worked with William Orbit and created a dance sound that made room for introspection. This also won Madonna her first music-related Grammy Award in 1999. It includes the hits, "Ray of Light," "Frozen," and "The Power of Good-bye."

11. "American Life"

"American Life" saw Madonna reflecting on her (at that time) 20-year career. Her impressions of her success and what she valued most came through on this record. Even though many associate this project with her political statements on the Iraq War, that's not a subject covered on this album. The lyrics talk about fame, materialism, love, spirituality, motherhood, and life. It wasn't loved by the general public during its release, but fans have developed an appreciation for it over the years.

10. "Hard Candy"

Having worked with a slew of European producers on previous albums, Madonna felt the need to return to America for "Hard Candy." Inspired by Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" album, she teamed up with Timberlake, Timbaland, and Pharrell Williams. The sound was modern, with throwbacks to her early years in New York City. The song "4 Minutes" helped Madonna break Elvis Presley's record for the most hits at the Top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

9. "Like a Virgin"

On her second album, Madonna teamed up with the legendary Nile Rodgers. Together, they crafted an album of hits that helped propel Madonna to superstardom. "Material Girl" and the title track became signature hits for her. "Dress You Up" ended up on Tipper Gore's "Filthy Fifteen" list for its racy lyrics. "Into The Groove," included on the international re-release, was Madonna's first UK number one. Other highlights include, "Angel" and "Over and Over."

8. "Bedtime Stories"

Released in the wake of "Erotica" and the "Sex" book, this album offered a softer, more romantic side of Madonna. Although it wasn't an unfamiliar display, this album allowed audiences to experience it without the distractions of a controversial video or book. Madonna teamed up with Babyface, Dallas Austin, Dave Hall, and Nelle Hooper to create an intimate R&B sound. "Take a Bow" became a huge radio hit and went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100.

7. "True Blue"

Madonna has said this album reflects someone who is in love. Inspired by her first marriage, Madonna expressed her love for her then-husband on the album's title track. She also caused controversy with the album's first single, "Papa Don't Preach." The song was sung from the perspective of a teenage girl telling her father she's pregnant. There was also the classic "La Isla Bonita," which Madonna called a tribute to Latin American people. "Open Your Heart" is another standout on the album, as is the classic ballad, "Live To Tell."

6. "Like a Prayer"

Having just passed the age of her mother's death, Madonna was super reflective when writing "Like a Prayer." She talks about her mother in "Promise To Try" and her relationship with her father in "Oh Father." This album also touches on the demise of her first marriage in "Till Death Do Us Part." Madonna wrote the album while on Broadway in "Speed The Plow." She hated the experience and said it contributed to the album's darkness. It's not all dark, though. There's the upbeat "Cherish" and the empowering hit "Express Yourself."

5. "Madame X"

After moving to Lisbon to support her son's aspirations of being a soccer player, Madonna found a new world of inspiration. The musical styles she was now surrounded by inspired her to start working on "Madame X." The album delves into politics and social issues, as America was in the waves of the Trump presidency. "Killers Who Are Partying" sees Madonna empathizing with oppressed groups. "Batuka" deals with women's rights and "God Control" is a call to end gun violence. The album has its lighthearted moments, too. "Crave," "Crazy," and "Faz Gostoso" are all highlights. The album closes with "I Rise," a motivational protest song which encapsulates the album's theme.

4. "Madonna"

Madonna's self-titled debut saw her at the center of the dance scene in New York City. This album is the epitome of the post-disco era and saw Madonna before her superstardom took off. Several hit singles came from this album, including "Lucky Star," "Borderline," and "Holiday." It also includes "Physical Attraction," which is one of Madonna's best deep cuts. The album is all dance, so once it starts, it's non-stop energy. There's no fillers and it makes for a very strong first album.

3. "Rebel Heart"

Initially intended to be a two-sided album, Madonna's "Rebel Heart" is perhaps the best look at her entire being. The album's concept is to showcase both the rebellious side of Madonna and the romantic side. It contains moments of introspection ("Joan of Arc"), love ("Inside Out"), heartbreak ("HeartBreak City"), and provocation ("Holy Water"). This album features a ton of guest appearances, from Nicki Minaj to Nas to Mike Tyson. The album's title track tells Madonna's story and unapologetically proclaims she is, in fact, a rebel heart. Other highlights include "Bitch I'm Madonna," "Iconic," and "Best Night."

2. "Confessions on a Dance Floor"

By 2005, it had been a while since Madonna had a true dance song or album. She decided to change that with "Confessions on a Dance Floor." After a planned musical failed to materialize, Madonna and Stuart Price shifted their focus to a new album. "Hung Up" was the song that set the process in motion, featuring a killer sample of ABBA's "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)." Madonna pays tribute to New York City on "I Love New York," gets spiritual on "Isaac," and makes no apologies on "Like It Or Not." This album is one of Madonna's best and a true masterpiece.

1. "Erotica"

In 1991, Madonna initially wanted to take a small break from music and focus on acting. But when Shep Pettibone gave her a cassette of some music he was working on, she wanted to hop in the studio. The result was "Erotica," an album that feels like a night out in the gritty underground of New York City. Despite the album's title, the record is less about sex and more about relationships. There's also social commentary on "Why's It So Hard?" and "In This Life," the latter of which is dedicated to friends Madonna lost to AIDS. The true highlight of this album, though, is "Deeper and Deeper," a classic Madonna dance hit. Other standouts on this album are "Waiting," "Words," and "Rain."