When Everything Feels Meaningless

When Everything Feels Meaningless

What should you do with your life at that point?

149
When Everything Feels Meaningless
Cassidy Kelley

As an individual frequently prone to extensive periods of existential thinking, I have often considered the concept of having a purpose. The idea of having a purpose in life is certainly appealing to most us, although I have met some who insist that they are content with not knowing if they have a purpose in life. As for myself, I desire to be intentional with my life. I do not want to waste the time that I have on this earth chasing after things that ultimately are worthless. Instead, I want to do something that counts, and I feel that I am not alone in that sentiment.

Where does purpose come from, though?

I am currently studying the book of Ecclesiastes, which addresses this very concept in quite a thought-provoking manner. The book itself starts out by declaring that everything is meaningless. Work, wealth, pleasure, wisdom -- these things are valuable and can bring some moments of satisfaction, but ultimately, they are meaningless in themselves. Both the wise and the fool, the rich and the poor, the hard workers and the couch potatoes meet the same fate. So, what matters in life then? Where should my efforts and time be directed so that I can live a full life?

"The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13) Apart from fearing God and keeping his commandments, everything is meaningless. I can work hard to get a good job, be generous toward others, and invest in my community, but even the heroes of history are eventually forgotten. The very ability to enjoy the results of my work is a gift from God, and when I work out of obedience to keep God's commands, I am fulfilling my duty as someone who holds the Scriptures to be true.

Why should we fear God and keep his commandments? Because "God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:14) This does not mean that we are to try to earn God's approval by doing good deeds and thus accumulating "brownie points." The truth of the matter is that we will be held accountable for how we have chosen to spend our time on this earth. For me, I want to steward my life wisely. I will not always make the right decisions, but I will still strive for excellence because growth is a messy, tiring, but beautiful process.

The work that we do is not oftentimes intrinsically valuable. The value comes when we recognize the one for whom we are working. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the LORD, not for human masters." (Colossians 3:23) All is meaningless apart from God. Fear God and obey him. That is our purpose. That is where we will find meaning in life.