Life Is All About The Little Things
Life Stages

Life Is All About The Little Things

They're just as important in your life as they are in your relationship

194
https://unsplash.com/photos/wK5lmJ_tDoc

When you think about life, it's somewhat scary. It seems large and uncontrollable. Sometimes it is, but that's OK. It's important to remember that it's all about the little things. Sure the big picture is necessary at certain points, but creating a happy life is a day-to-day process. And what is a single day made up of? All the little things.

You hear this saying often in relationships. "It's the little things." Does he know your favorite ice cream flavor, or did he notice when you cut your hair? Both important things, but neither monumental. So, if it's important to be aware of small things in your relationship, then why not practice this in other aspects of your life?

It sounds kind of odd and silly. But it is a way of living that forces you to be more appreciative and more present. Many times I get caught up in the large pieces of my week like work or a yoga class. Although those are a part of your week, they aren't the whole thing. The little pieces make up the remaining space, and they are just as important.

I am not an expert at life or anywhere near having it together, but I've found a certain peace from focusing more on the little things. When I've had a long day, I focus on doing something that will make me smile. Maybe I'll walk my dog or watch an episode of my favorite show. Neither of these are monumental activities, but I alleviate negative feelings or energy by focusing on them.

You're present in your life. You acknowledge your feelings and do something to change them instead of letting your negative energy consume the rest of your day. Becoming aware of small things that make you smile will also make you more appreciative. Becoming aware of small acts that make you happy or pull you from a bad mood is essential. In noting these actions, you will be appreciative of the time you get to spend doing them or the people you do them with.

Life happens. Some days are better than others. Try to be more present in it. Don't take a back seat to your happiness. We can't control everything, which is OK, but it makes a difference when you work to control the little things you can.