The Alicia Keys Movement

The Alicia Keys Movement

Why I'm Joining The Alicia Keys No Makeup Movement

30
The Alicia Keys Movement
Real Cool Videos

Recently, Alicia Keys has come to the forefront of the media's attention for her #NoMakeup Movement. In this movement, she has chosen to not cover up: "Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing". This movement, to me, is insanely inspirational. Alicia Keys is setting a monumental example for people everywhere. She is being her true and genuine self in every aspect, from head to toe, inside and out. In what started as a photo shoot without makeup became a revolution to question societies existing beliefs altogether.

As a girl, I can't count how many times I've questioned whether or not I should put on makeup before I leave the house or dress up instead of wearing my typical leggings every day. I don't question my want to just go au naturel and keep my usual look, I question what other people will think if I choose to do what I want. That is the bigger problem in our society today; the fact that it is almost like human instinct to question ourselves based on the ideas of other people. This is why I am choosing to follow in Alicia Keys footsteps and not straighten my hair or wear makeup. This example should be inspiring to other females as well, and males. Her movement is not just skin deep, it goes further. To say that she won't hide anything or change anything about herself to incorporate other people's viewpoints of her is bold. I think she should be applauded and that the people saying she could use a little makeup or do something with her hair, you should be empowering her to continue the revolution of naturality.

Our society pressures people to go against there natural self, whether that is by wearing makeup or going as far as getting plastic surgery. I think that Alicia Keys is setting an example for society all together by saying she will not be anything but her true self. She will not force herself to think like everyone else or dress like everyone else or look like anyone else. She also won't hide any hardships that she goes through because they are all a part of life, and life is beautiful. Alicia Keys' innovative ideas surrounding her movement are the reason that I am following in her footsteps. Instead of tearing down a woman for expressing her beliefs, I think that people should support her decisions and join in the movement. It is more of a call for change rather than a simple choice, and our society could benefit from change at this point in time.