Alice in Wonderland Lessons for Adults

Alice Adventures Have Notable Lessons For Adults

Have you wondered if children stories have valuable life lessons for adults?

61
Glendy Vasquez

Alice Adventures in Wonderland @ Glendy Vasquez

Lewis Carroll's Alice Adventures in Wonderland is a story about a young girl that falls into a rabbit hole by accident. How does she end up in this situation? By chasing one peculiar rabbit with a time watch. This is the start of her adventure-filled journey towards self-discovery and the wild side of believing the impossible.

While reading the book, I couldn't help but analyze and question every word, and phrase Carroll wrote. It really makes you think on what the purpose of the book is. Why was it written? What's the message?

From the surface, the book itself can just be mindless bedtime stories for children. Just for mere entertainment. What if we looked past the silly riddles and made up words. Reading the book through an adult's point of view, it can teach us a few things. In the text, we are introduced to a mischievous Cheshire Cat who says the following: "'Oh you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'" (Carroll 49). This quote doesn't merely indicate that we are indeed crazy. It's telling the reader that we all have unique qualities as people and that may sometimes seem unusual to others. Once we learn to embrace these qualities, then we'll truly be ourselves.

Also, the children's story teaches us that life will always be filled with adventures. In the passage The Lobster-Quadrille, Alice says the following "... it's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" (Carroll 80). We as people continue to grow and learn. We learn through from our mistakes; our experiences impact us for the better or, the worse. It's important to not dwell on the past for we were different people back then. Instead focus on the future, where we better ourselves and those around us. Some things in Alice in Wonderland have a deeper meaning to it, children and adults alike can take away something from this peculiar story.