Alex Trebek Passed Away, And Now My Life Will Never Be The Same
News

A true TV staple in my household, Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek sadly passed away at the age of 80.

17
@jeopardy / Instagram

Known in likely every household across the US(and probably Canada, too, as it was his home country), Alex Trebek graced our television screens nearly every weeknight on Jeopardy! for 36 years. Likely the most well-known game show host of all time, TV icon Alex Trebek passed away on Sunday, November 8 in his home, surrounded by loved ones. Following US presidential election celebrations, the country fell silent at the news of Trebek's death.

For as long as I can remember, Jeopardy! was watched after Wheel of Fortune every single weeknight in my household. My brothers and I would come home from school, do our homework, eat supper, and then sit down with our dad for Wheel and Jeopardy! before getting ready for bed.

Though I didn't know any answers back then, I always wanted to one day be able to understand the questions and give a response in the nightly household competition, and I dreamed of the chance to go on to compete on the show.

With the addition of Jeopardy! to Netflix, you can probably imagine how excited I was. My boyfriend and I had begun binge-watching it again about a month ago and competing every night, seeing who could get more questions right. He and I were academic team kids, so it was reminiscent of the years we used to compete in quick recall.

Alex Trebek and Jeopardy! created a TV sanctuary for nerds like us, and through watching all the episodes throughout the many years, students, teachers, kids, parents, and grandparents alike have been touched by Alex Trebek and his warm personality, sense of humor, great stories, and incredible knowledge of every subject imaginable.

Trebek announced back in March of 2018 that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, but that he was optimistic about beating it. He continued to host the show, and producers said the spot as host was his until he decided he wanted to retire, which he never did. Trebek said he would host until he couldn't possibly anymore, and we will always love him for that.

In his honor, Jeopardy! will air all of the pre-recorded episodes up through December 25.

I don't know if Jeopardy! plans to find a new host, but if they do, they'll have some big shoes to fill.

As for me and millions of other regular watchers, I don't know if I'll be watching anymore. Alex Trebek hosted Jeopardy! from 1984 until his passing, and I looked up to him in a similar way that I did to Mister Rogers. Now, there remains a void in the hearts of many that I don't know can ever be filled.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, and loved ones of Alex Trebek during this time.

We love you forever, Alex, and we miss you so much. Thank you for the many years of laughs, thought-provoking questions, warm smiles, and lovely conversations with the contestants, so we could learn a little more about you, too, every day. This world will never be the same without your shining beacon of a life in it.