'Grey's Anatomy' Ended Alex Karev's Story In The Worst Way Possible

'Grey's Anatomy' Ended Alex Karev's Storyline In The WORST Way Possible And I Will Not Recover

Alex deserved better, Jo deserved better, and Meredith deserved better.

49432
ABC

SPOILER WARNING: This article contains spoilers for "Grey's Anatomy"

Thursday night, "Grey's Anatomy" aired its final episode for our OG, Alex Karev.

If your emotions were just as conflicted as mine were during the entirety of this episode, then you are feeling sad this morning and wondering if you should watch it again to make sure you didn't dream what happened.

Before you continue reading, you should know that there are spoilers. If you stopped watching "Grey's" several seasons back but you wanna know what happened, keep reading, you'll understand.

In January, Justin Chambers announced his departure from "Grey's," where he's played Alex Karev for 16 years. His decision to leave was sad but ultimately understandable due to his age and wanting to diversify his career and spending more time with his family.

"Grey's" fans weren't sure how his storyline was going to end, but this was not how we wanted it.

For the last several episodes, we have not seen Alex Karev, and last night his character was ended with a letter sent to Meredith, Jo, Dr. Bailey, and Dr. Weber. Yes, a letter.

We don't see Alex, we just hear his voice as though he were reading the letters.

Each letter was filled with memories and deep, DEEP nostalgic moments being replayed for "Grey's" fanatics, but they all had a common thread of telling us that he left everything in Seattle and moved to Kansas to be with IZZIE.

A while back, he worked to get letters together for Meredith's trial to support her character and he called Izzie to get one too. He explains that when he started talking to her he was filled with love and curiosity and as he's asking her about her life, she tells him that she has two kids.

Remember when Izzie had cancer and she and Alex were together and he fertilized her eggs so they could have kids in the future? Yeah, well she took the opportunity to have those babies because she wasn't able to have kids from her cancer.

Yes, they are her and Alex's 5-year-old twins.

While it was extremely sad to see him abandon the life he had and the friendship he had with Meredith, the most heartwrenching part was that he left his wife whom he loved with all of his heart.

Jo explains that he left after the trial happened (after he talked to Izzie) and said he was in Iowa with his mom, which he wasn't. He left Jo months ago and never told her and never gave her a chance to say goodbye.

These two were a beacon of hope for "Grey's" relationships and it was absolutely shattering to see that end.

The episode does a flashback of Alex and Izzie's love together which is MADDENING because of the way that she left him. It's almost ironic that he did the same to Jo, but not in a good way.

There are a million and two scenarios I could have thought of to end his story differently that did not end with Izzie, but it will be interesting to see how Jo copes with this now that all is said and done.

Now that Alex is gone, I am ready for this series to be over, ending with season 16. Let's be honest, we all need a break from "Grey's."