11 Reasons Why Alex Karev Is The Best Part Of Greys Anatomy

Evil Spawn Over McDreamy Any Day

38354
My TFI

Alex Karev is the underdog hottie of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital. While most girls fawn over McDreamy or McSteamy, Evil Spawn is the absolute best part of Greys Anatomy. He's always been around, and while he hasn't always been the kick-ass attending surgeon we know and love today, he has definitely gone through the most change and character development through the 12 seasons of Greys Anatomy. Karev, a pediatric surgeon that saves little kid lives, has a huge heart under his jackass exterior. If you're not like me, who loves Evil Spawn, here's 11 reasons why Dr. Alex Karev is the best, most underrated surgeon at Grey Sloan Memorial.

1. Despite being the underdog throughout the show, he has risen to become one of the best attending's at Grey Sloan Memorial.

Karev came from a crappy home life, went to state school, failed his acceptance test into the intern program, dated a psycho, lived through the Izzie ordeal, and then survived being shot. Despite going through hospital hell throughout the course of 12 seasons, Karev has become one of the best attending surgeons at Grey Sloan Memorial. His rough road to surgical success is just one of the few things that makes him a certified badass, and an amazing character to see develop throughout the show.

2. He went Peds.

Although he originally planned to specialize in plastics, Karev eventually realized that pediatrics was where he should be. Great with kids, saves dying babies and little kids, I mean what more could you want in a heartthrob? Karev, despite not caring too much about the adults around him, always cared for and went to bat for the kids that needed him. Look at him save that baby with his body heat, how could you not instantly be in love?!

3. He has a great relationship with Meredith, and was pretty great at taking over being her person once Cristina left.

Karev and Meredith became friends long before any of the other interns had accepted him into their club. He was always the perfect balance to Meredith's crazy, and understood that family isn't who shares your blood, just like Meredith did. Karev was no Cristina, but he was there for Meredith more than he could ever be for another human being (besides his pediatric patient). He never asked for the position of being her person, but he took over with flying colors.

4. He brought over kids from Africa, aka he's the reason Derek and Meredith even met Zola.

Alex was the leader in the movement to bring the sick, needy children from Africa for surgeries. He planned every aspect of it, and wasn't afraid to do some questionable things (ask a patient for money) to make sure that it happened. And, if it hadn't been for this medical mission planned by Karev, Derek and Meredith would have never been introduced to Zola. Yeah, he messed somethings up in the process, but managed to get it all fixed and made sure that MerDer got their baby girl. He saves African orphans people, HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE HIM?

5. He makes the best faces. Here's him being terrified by a bear.

6. Smiling awkwardly, because a scowl is so much better than a smile.

7. Andddd playing with a babies, which will make your ovaries explode.

9. He looks good in everything, even his nerdy glasses from that weird alternate universe episode.

This episode also helped us all realize that Alex is at his best an angry, angsty bad boy. And that that should never, ever be changed.

10. He's protective over those that he cares about, whether it's his friends or his patients.

Remember that time he punched out the meth dealer that had his baby addicted? Oh. My. Gosh. Karev has always been there for his friends, despite his pretending that he couldn't give less of a crap. It's one of the things that makes him a great pediatric doctor, a great boyfriend to Jo, and a great friend to his fellow surgeons. Alex, though he shows he cares through physical violence and hurtful words, is always there for those that are his self determined family.

11. He has a huge heart.

Karev is the lovable asshole. He's mean, rude, and pretty self centered, especially during his intern days. However, there's no denying that he has a huge heart. Karev shows he cares through his friendship with Cristina and Meredith, his relationship with Jo, his respect for Arizona, and even through his past relationships. He cared for Izzie even though she was grieving Denny, and then took care of her throughout her chemo, and then married her. He is known to stick up for his patients, and even took care of his estranged, dying father. The point is, is that though Alex Karev may be Evil Spawn, there's no denying he's pretty dreamy and loving as well.

There it is. Alex Karev, the real dreamy doctor of Grey Sloan Memorial. We will love your sarcastic, child saving, jackass self for the rest of the series. Shonda, please don't kill this one. We're begging.