Album Review: Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats

Check out "A Little More From Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats"

34
The Current

Hello! Today, I will be writing an album review for Nathaniel Rateliff &a the Night Sweats' new album titled, "A Little More From Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats". This album has 8 songs on it and is meant to help prepare their fans for their upcoming tour.

Let's start with the song, "Parlor". This song sounds just like a Night Sweats' song. With a very blues and rock tone this tune is complimented with a rhythm of clapping and has very simple and sweet to the point lyrics. "Parlor" in the end is a fun and groovy tune.

"Just To Talk To You" starts off with a lone guitar and slowly adds in with vocals. The tune begins very quietly and reminds me of almost a folk rock style of music. This tune shows the Night Sweats' versatility to go from a big sound and groovy tune to a stripped down sound. "Just To Talk To You" has a stripped down sound and is very folk rock. With just a guitar and vocals this tune offers a unique sound from Nathaniel Rateliff, but shows their versatility as well as their Expanding knowledge of music and how spot on this tune was to folk rock.

Next, "Wasting Time" (Live Version), this tune was on their debut album. This time it's a live version and it's to help support their new album since "Wasting Time" is their latest single off the debut album. The song is very groovy with great guitar riffs and the vocals just makes you want to sing along till the sun sets. With a fantastic balance of drums and guitar and the gritty yet smooth vocals by Nathaniel Rateliff just helps make this tune perfect.

"What I Need" starts off strong with the horn section and piano. Once the vocals enter, most of the band drops out besides the drums and the song starts to take into a ballad-like swing. The horn section adds chords to go under the vocals and help create a beautiful sound. The lyrics are sung so easily and become wrapped around your head while the Night Sweats switch from a stripped down sound to the whole band back to being just a few playing. "What I Need" has a very beautiful and elegant sound when it comes to ballads in the rock world. The way that the band will split apart then rejoin each other so often and so easily is just amazing and reminds you just how good these guys are.

Next, "Out On The Weekend" begins with a shuffle rock sound and the horn section adds in chords of steel until the vocals enter. The tune continues with its shuffle while the guitar adds in some riffs in the background to compliment the vocals. The horns come in so sweetly and nicely once the bridge hits. Nathaniel Rateliff sings the lyrics as if it's effortless for him. The whole band works together so well throughout the tune and just clicks through every section of the song. This tune showed more versatility on the Night Sweats' part as they continued to move back and forth from a shuffle to a horn influenced bridge.

"Late Night Party - Out On The Weekend" from the get go starts off with a light groove and a heavy influence on the guitar while the vocals just squeeze in there ever so sweetly. If you listen closely you can hear a trumpet in the back just peeking out and helps create a beautiful sound. The light shuffle from the drums helps produce a light side to side in the hips as you listen. The tune is very simple and short, but is still an excellent tune and would be a great for a bonfire with friends.

"I Did It" begins with a bass riff and drums accompanying it then the horns blast in with the guitar. The vocals enter with a funky groove going on in the background. An echo of the vocals start to begin after each verse is sung. The guitar starts to take over with a blasting sound which actually mixes well with the gritty vocals. This groovy tune never stops grooving and really helps make the album.

Lastly, "How To Make Friends" starts off with an older sound and the vocals come in and it sounds as if you're back in the 1950's-60's. The lyrics seem to barely slip off the edge of Nathaniel Rateliff's lips, but it gives this beautiful sound to the tune and really seems to flow with the beat. The drums are in a shuffle pattern while the guitar adds in things here and there. Then, the vocals just kind of flow back and forth with the rhythm. You begin to move your head side to side while the shuffle continues and the guitar enters. The so bittersweet vocals just fade into the atmosphere as the guitar begins to quickly cover it up. This tune offers the right balance of vocals, guitar and drums. A very beautiful tune that this is by Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats.

Well, that's all for the new record from Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. I hope you enjoyed this review and continue to read more. Please go take a listen to this album as it as a fantastic one!