Ed Sheeran's "Divide" Shows Us That He's More Than Just An Artist

He's more than an artist; he is becoming an icon.

20
The Independent

Ed Sheeran has returned with the release of his newest album Divide, which was released on March 3. Ever since the release of his two singles "Castle on the Hill" and "Shape of You" earlier this year, fans have awaited a new era of love songs from the Grammy-award winning artist. And for this Sheeran album, fans are sure to be pleased.

However, "Eraser", the opening song, brings a serious tone as Sheeran opens up with a reality many artists struggle with: fame and alcohol. Despite the grim reality he recognizes surrounding fame, alcohol and even the negative views of life, Ed remains optimistic for the newest generation, singing, "The world may be filled with hate, but keep erasing it now, somehow."

With personal songs like "Castle on the Hill" and "Supermarket Flowers", Sheeran brings listeners into his world of childhood, friends, and family struggles. Yet despite the undertones with several songs, Sheeran remains a master of writing love songs with guitars.

The sounds that surround the song "Dive" reminds listeners of his Grammy-award winning hit "Thinking Outloud", yet "Dive" gives a more serious statement. Sheeran sings "Don't call me baby unless you mean it. Don't tell me you need me if you don't believe it." Other songs like "How Would You Feel" and "Hearts Don't Break Around Here" show a more evolved lover Sheeran has become, both towards music and whomever he is singing about. Additionally, "Perfect" is perhaps one song that will simply melt your heart.

Despite many slow and dramatic love songs from the album, Divide certainly has some tracks that make you want to jump onto a table and dance, stomp, and cheer to the beat. "Shape of You" brings out the Sheeran fans discovered prior to his sophomore album Multiply. " Galway Girl" is perhaps the shining gem of the album. Incorporating fiddles and an Irish vibe, it's a song you can't help but dance to; additionally, for being only 2:50 minutes long, it's a song that listeners could have on repeat.

Overall, Divide proves to stand on its own against the current albums of the pop industry, proving to be authentic, rather than generic, and personal rather than vague. With both love songs and songs about his life, the tracks are truly "divided" amongst the two. Sheeran seems to follow what some artists are doing nowadays: making music while keeping their origins in mind. Sheeran hints to his roots in nearly every track, proving that he's never truly left behind the life he once knew.