Alabama Football Makes Visit To White House

For the fifth time in nine years, Alabama visits President Trump and the White House

558
Instagram

The Alabama Crimson Tide were welcomed by President Trump at the White House on April 10 after winning the National Championship back in January. The Crimson Tide won a thriller over Georgia in overtime 26-23.

Head coach Nick Saban had been to the White House five times before. During that time Barack Obama and George W. Bush were in office. For the first time, he along with the University of Alabama President Stuart R. Bell and Athletic Director Greg Byrne were invited into the oval office.

“You’ve been here six times, and this is your first time in the Oval,” Trump said to Saban while giving his speech. “They didn’t invite you. Trump invites you.”

Trump attended the game in Atlanta and made an appearance on the field during the national anthem. After Georgia had a 13-0 lead at halftime, Trump was headed back to Washington. He missed the outstanding play of freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, however, he did not forget to credit the unbelievable comeback.

“It will go down as one of the most exciting finishes in college football history—of any sport,” Trump said of Alabama’s 17thnational championship.

The act shown by Alabama attending the White House was a showcase of class, honor, and celebration. Regardless of the players or coaches’ political views, they went as a team. They celebrated the victory over Georgia. It was a once in a lifetime honor that was all because of the team’s hard work, and their refusal to lose.

At the end of the ceremony, Trump was given an Alabama jersey, a helmet, and a signed football.

Former Alabama punter J.K. Scott was seen with many other players praying with President Trump. With their hands on each other’s shoulders, the act shows that no matter what the individual’s thoughts were they still care and want safety for the president. It is what makes Alabama sit in a league of its own and shows the true value of Alabama football.

Alabama is in an excellent position to continue their success and make another visit to the White House during Trump’s term.

The road to eighteen starts now.