my sibling is 10 years older then me

10 Things You Know To Be True If You And Your Sibling Are 10+ Years Apart

We still love you, though.

945
Kaylee Smith
Kaylee Smith

As of 2009, 80% of people had at least one sibling. This makes sense, many of the people we know have a sibling, or two, or five. Some have half-siblings or step-siblings, even adopted siblings. Here are 10 things that people with a sibling who is roughly 10+ years different in age can relate to.

1. Being asked which one of you "wasn't planned"

Not only offensive, but one of the most common questions asked. But in case you were wondering, it was my ten year older brother.

2. Having more of a parent-child relationship than friendship

Despite siblings who are close in age, having a sibling almost a decade apart from you makes the older sibling seem more of a bossy and protective, third parent.

3. Being or having a chauffeur

In reality, many parents have their oldest child drive the younger child or children around when they get their license. Then, the oldest child would only have to drive their sibling(s) around for a few years, until they too turn 16. In contrast, having a sibling who is ten years difference in age, could make them the DD from age 16-26, until the younger one turns 16 themselves.

4. The older sibling being the best (or worst) with homework help

Having such an age gap may make the older sibling the best tool for homework help. For example, in eighth grade, learning the quadratic formula may be a struggle. With a sibling who at this point would be 23 or 24, it should be easy as cake for them. Should. Unless you have an older brother like mine, who somehow couldn't remember eighth-grade math by the time he was in his early twenties, despite having been through elaborate high school math a few years prior.

5. Remembering all of their ex-spouses

Having a sibling who is older means from an early age you watched them cycle through a few relationships. Similarly, having a younger sibling means the desire to protect them from their boyfriend or girlfriend, even though it's just a middle school crush.

6. Being the babysitter or babysat

If your sibling is 10+ years apart from you, chances are you watched them, or they watched you alone for your first few years of life and up.

7. The likelihood of being half-siblings and the consequences

Being 10+ years apart, there's a decent chance you and your sibling only biologically share one parent. Do not state to someone who has a half-sibling that they aren't "real" or "full" siblings due to this.Just as adopted kids are considered full-siblings with their brothers or sisters despite not being biologically related, the same goes for half-siblings.

8. Teachers not remembering your sibling

Often in schools teachers like to ask their students if they've had their siblings before. Many times, students reply with their sibling's name whom the teacher had a few years prior, and the teacher recollects them. If one's older sibling had the teacher 10 years prior, it's likely the teacher doesn't remember them, despite having had them. In my situation, this was good, as my brother was not a good student.Likewise, if you have a teacher and you're the older sibling, it's doubtful they'll remember your younger sibling down the line.

9. The sadness when college comes

Being a younger sibling, seeing your older brother/sister go off to college when you're a young age of eight is devastating, whether they're living on campus or not. You're at the age where you haven't known life without them being constantly around you, and too young to adequately deal with those emotions. If you're the older sibling, you suddenly miss your possibly irritating younger sibling.

10. Growing apart

Sadly, for many siblings with a number of years between them, the older one moves away and/or gets busy while the younger sibling hasn't reached that part in life yet. This makes the younger sibling yearn to see their sibling or to also have their time occupied. Even though the older sibling has more things distracting them, they too miss their sibling.

Having a 10+ year gap between you and your sibling might form a relationship unlike most sibling relationship, but you're lucky to have them. Even if you're the younger one, and your sibling told you when you were a child that you're adopted. Yes, I'm looking at you, older siblings.