Moving After Graduation

6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Stay In Your Hometown After Graduation

You can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.

557

It's time.

Whether you are a recent graduate or about to go into your last year of college, it's time to start thinking about what you truly want to do with your life. These past few years have been leading up to this and all of your hard work is about to pay off.

It is okay if you have no idea what you want right now. You don't need to have your whole life together just because you graduated college. The best way to find out is get out of your comfort zone and explore everything this life has to offer.

I know it is a total cliche to move to a big city after graduation, especially NYC, but why not? You can't experience anything new if you go right back to where you were before college. Even if it's not a big city you are thinking about moving to, anywhere but home will give you a chance to discover more about yourself. It can be terrifying and exciting all at the same time, but it will be worth it.

Here are some reasons why you should think about going somewhere other than home after college.

1. More career options.

media.giphy.com

There is only so many jobs you can find in one place. If you're willing to move anywhere to find your dream job, you'll get it. Truly, you are limiting your career choices by staying around your hometown area, especially if there are certain cities that have more jobs for your specific degree. It is hard for anyone to find a job after graduation, but sadly, a lot of graduates with a degree in the arts have an even harder time finding a job in smaller cities. No matter what your degree is in, if you have an open mind, you'll find your dream job.

2. New friends.

media.giphy.com

I know it isn't ideal leaving your friends behind to move to a new city. You get comfortable with the group of friends you already have and it is honestly hard to imagine not living near them. I promise they will still be in your life after you move. If they're your real friends, they will come to see you and your new home. A new city just means a chance to make even more friends. It might be lonely when you first move there, but as time passes, you'll find people you have things in common with and maybe even meet someone special.

3. Different surroundings.

media.giphy.com

There is nothing worse than finally being done school and seeing the same exact places and faces you always have (at least to me there is.) Think about how exciting it would be to know that after graduation, you'll get to explore a whole new city that you can call home. Each day you'll be meeting new people and seeing everything that place has to offer.

4. More independence.

media.giphy.com

You will probably have to go back to your parents' house at least for a little while after graduation. You're going to have to save some money and find a place to live before you can go anywhere. But you will definitely appreciate the privacy and independence that you get when you do move far away from home. It does suck not having your mom's home cooked meals, but at least you won't have to worry about your parents coming in your room while you are trying to do stuff. The experience will only teach you how to take care of yourself.

5. Learn more about yourself.

media.giphy.com

Going to a place you don't know and that is full of strangers takes a lot of courage. Not everyone can do that. Whether you end up liking it or not, you will learn things you never knew about yourself. You will see how brave you are for doing this and you'll eventually learn what career path you want to take. The adventures you will have and the people you will meet will help you become the person you are meant to be.

6. A chance to start over.

media.giphy.com

Jim Carrey is already an awesome actor, and now, he is even more for saying this. Graduation is the time where we get thrown into the real world and discover what we can do in this life. It's the time to take risks even if we fail a hundred times in the end. Getting out of your comfort zone and moving to a strange city is always a risk, but there is also a chance you could find your dream job and a life you love. If you do not take any risks and go for the job that is financially stable, you'll never know if could have had the life you had dreamed about.

Congratulations (or soon to be) grad! You did it! Now go show the world what you can do!!