African Threading

There's so much yet so little to say about African hair threading.

I have memories of being a little girl in Togo; sitting on the floor between my mother's legs as she makes her way through my hair, wrapping the black thread around each strand of hair which would normally be divided into 8 sections.

African Threading is a traditional African hair styling technique. Black thread is used to wrap around strands of hair from the root all the way to the tips.

(This is typically the type of black thread that is used)

This technique may be used to achieve a couple things. First, it may be used as a protective style. Now, by protective style, I mean a hair style that does not require much manipulation. This means little touching, little playing, and little styling of the hair. Other protective styles come in the form of weaves, braids, crochet, and wigs. In most cases protective styling is needed when you have kinky curly hair for it allows your hair to grow and retain length, seeing how your natural hair is covered and again is not being messed with so it will let your hair do its thing and grow naturally. Threading is also on the list of protective styles for it does just that. It keeps your hair intact so there's no to little need for styling.

As you can see here, the hair is tucked away; covered by the thread. With this style, there's little to be done when it comes to styling. You can literally get up and go if you please. Threading is also an option when you are wearing a wig. It may even be a better option for styling. You may choose to thread your hair under you wig instead of cornrows because once again your hair is tucked away, protected with the thread. This will eliminate some mishaps and conflicts that comes with wearing wigs. There's less chances for tangles and snags; whereas with cornrows, you're getting the complete opposite. The hair is fully exposed under the wig and you risk damage to hair with daily removal and addition of the wig

Aside from being a protective style; it may also be used for length retention, retaining length, growing hair and stretching hair. If you have tight kinky curls or know anyone who has tight kinky curls then you must know about shrinkage.

You know...

This...

The shrinkage may be real but don't let it fool ya.

All those curl patterns do have length but after flat ironing and applying heat, it seems as though even the smallest amount of moisture in the air makes your hair curl all the way back up.

We all know heat does not do any hair justice.... well maybe heat in moderation may do hair justice but as far as healthy hair, you and your hair are better off with zero heat! Threading may be used as an alternative for those days when shrinkage is real. It will stretch the hair to its full capacity and allows for a fuller head of hair to achieve your desired hairstyle.

Just look at the difference between the threaded and not threaded sections of hair.

It's like blow drying your hair with the added bonus of zero heat!

But WAIT there's more!

Just look at these mind-blowing, creative styles

Omg.

Omg..

Omg...

OMG!!!!!!!! That must've taken a lot of time and a lot of thread