"When They See Us," Is A Real Eye Opener For People That Are Wrongfully Convicted

'When They See Us,' Opens The Eyes For African Americans Who Were Wrongfully Convicted

This Netflix series truly opens the eyes of viewers, showing that being wrongfully convicted is appalling.

38

Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, Raymond Santana Jr., and Korey Wise. If you don't know these boys. They were the Central Park Five. These boys were wrongfully convicted of raping and brutally attacking a white woman in New York. These boys served up to 13 years in prison. 13 years were taken away from their lives, just because of who they were. They were five black boys going to the park to have fun.

These boys were brought in with questioning without they're parents and were beaten and yelled at for something they didn't do. Ex-prosecutor Linda Fairstein brought in false evidence and false accusations just to put these boys away. Elizabeth Laderer was the ADA for their trial and she was also the reason why those boys were put in jail. Have you ever thought about why they did it? I truly believe that they were racially motivated, due to the stereotypes given for African Americans and Hispanics.

They served time for something they didn't do? Why? Because they had the unfortunate circumstances of the stereotypes of their race. Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, and Raymond Santana Jr. served seven years in prison. However, Korey Wise served up to 13 years in prison. Korey Wise went through the roughest times.

Korey Wise accompanied Yusef Salaam to jail, to show his loyalty. Eventually, the police wanted to pin the rape and assault on him as a backup plan. Korey Wise was convicted and was sent to an adult prison. Each time Korey Wise went to his parole hearing, he never confessed to doing these crimes, barbecue he believed that he shouldn't confess to something that he didn't do. At the age of 16, he went to an adult prison, where he was brutally beaten and even stabbed. He finds out, that his transgendered sister was murdered while he was in jail. Yet, Korey Wise never lost hope. Angry? Absolutely. Hopeful? No doubt.

After years of pain and suffering, their case was exonerated, due to someone confessing that they did it. Yet, the Central Park Five decided to fight back. These boys sued New York and got a settlement of $41 million.

I watched this series on Netflix, and I was angry and shocked. I look at the series and I noticed a few things. Linda Fairstein did not catch enough evidence to prove that the five boys were responsible for this. Also, they did not have a previous criminal record that would lead up the purpose behind it. Yet, it was decided to pin it on five colored boys. This story reminds me of the execution of George Stinney.

George Stinney was only 14 years old when he was executed for the murder of two 7-year-old girls. He was executed by the electric chair. He was only a child. Just like the Central Park Five, who knew nothing about sex or rape. Yet, they blamed colored boys. People have the tendency of blaming black people for being violent ones. They think that they are gang bangers and animals, yet they are nothing but human beings

I recommend anyone to watch this Netflix series, so it can open your eyes to what goes on in this country. There are people who are or were wrongfully convicted of something when the real criminals walk free. It is our time to be equal and fight against this situation so that the next generation could have something to look forward to without fear.