How I Afforded My Trip To Iceland As A College Student

A broke college student's guide to afford traveling overseas.

Kelly Cruz

Iceland can be an expensive place to visit and this can be a factor that makes people less likely to want to visit, but it is possible to visit this beautiful place on a budget.

Personally, I was a bit worried about traveling to this beautiful island, but once I got to planning and doing some research I realized that Iceland was not too crazy out of reach. Now I bought my ticket to Iceland a bit too late which was about six months in advance.

Yet, I still managed to save time to enjoy my trip and be able to see many beautiful places while traveling around Iceland.

1. Traveling within a group makes things cheaper

If you have a group of friends that are up to travel with you it makes things cheaper in splitting the cost of traveling.

2. Every penny counts

The struggle and temptation are real, but deciding to skip that coffee run, going on a mini shopping spree, or eating out does start to show in your savings. If you are serious about traveling then considering cutting out somethings that are more luxury then necessary expenses.

3. Track your budget

Staying organized and keeping track of your expenses will help you establish where you are overspending and what areas you can save on.

4. Organize your trip

The following were the main things that were taken into consideration when I was planning for Iceland.

Flight ticket

Food

Transportation

Housing

Gas

Activity expenses

Now everyone is different in what they plan to spend their money on, but the above things are pretty basic and a good place to start in deciding where your money will be spent during your trip.

5. Try avoiding tourist traps

Many times when you travel there are many tourist attraction, but if you do some research you can find really cool places to visit and keeping it low cost. For example, researching Iceland, there is the Blue Lagoons and the Myvatn Nature Baths. Both beautiful places to visit, both similar sights and nature of attraction, but one is priced higher than the other. If you are in it more for the fancy price than the experience then so be it. If you are trying to live the experience on a budget researching will be worth your time.

In the end, it depends on your traveling ways on how you want to budget and spend your money, but the point of it all is that it is tangible you just need to be organized and prioritize what is more important in your spendings the $5 coffee in that instance or saving those $5 to have the opportunity to enjoy your trip that much more.