Aerie's #AerieREAL Campaign Provides The Body Positivity That Society Needs

Aerie encourages society to get "REAL" while focusing on being true to oneself.

155
Shelby Arnett

Aerie, a sub-brand owned by American Eagle Outfitters, is an intimates and apparel retailer that promotes female empowerment, body positivity, and a healthy, happy lifestyle through its overarching advertising campaign. The campaign has only increased in popularity since its debut and primarily focuses on body image and self-love within its customers.

Aerie's most well-known campaign is #AerieREAL, which launched in 2014. This campaign empowers women through the use of inclusivity. Aerie celebrates society's differences.

The Aerie models, titled "role models" by Aerie, who wear the brand's clothing and lingerie are photographed without any digital retouching to encourage a much more positive and relatable self-image. Aerie wants its customers to know that each and every person is individually made.

Everyone comes with a set of "flaws," which can be hard to embrace due to the human fear of insecurity. However, Aerie hopes to change those darks thought by bringing real, untouched models to light. The Aerie models vary in shape, size and skin color, some women have multiple piercings or tattoos, and others may have beauty marks.

Aerie became the first retailer to sponsor the National Eating Disorder Association, also known as NEDA. Aerie also sponsors the NEDA Walk, a 1-2 mile long walk created specifically for eating disorder awareness and fundraising prevention.

This brand is changing how women view their bodies. They are beginning to devote their lives to loving themselves, rather than filling their days with self-criticism.

Aerie also works with other causes and organizations, such as the Special Olympics, Free The Girls, and Darkness To Light. These organizations positively benefit different societies around the world.

Staff members also write feature stories on young girls and women who are making changes in their own communities related to self-esteem and confidence. These features are even posted on Aerie's website for customers to view.

Aside from empowering stories, Aerie provides available online workshops from customers to view, as well as lifestyle advice directly from their Role Models page.

The main focus of Aerie's brand highlights the importance of embracing what is real.

Young females within society are encouraged to set goals for themselves and practice positive self-talk to improve body confidence. Aerie motivates women to enhance their levels of self-love through wellness practices such as meditation, exciting HIIT workouts, and finding happiness through the little things. Aerie truly wants to make the community a better world, one step at a time.

Over the past year, Aerie's role models were featured with their disabilities or conditions.

The role models ranged from a woman with diabetes attaching her insulin pump, or another woman smiling as she models in her wheelchair. Some women use crutches, while others are cancer survivors. These images remained untouched when published online and on social media, generating copious amounts of praise and gratitude from Aerie supporters.

In a world filled with judgment and negativity, Aerie's #AerieREAL campaign reminds women that a real body is a beautiful one. The brand serves as a source of empowerment for all of its customers through the balance of beauty combined with admirable vulnerability.