college freshman year

To incoming college freshman

Things I wish someone would have told me about freshman year of college

100
To incoming college freshman

Freshman year, I remember it like it was yesterday. Well, it kinda was. The excitement and anticipation of finally being away from home and the feeling of a fresh start. I was beyond excited for freshman year and can honestly say it was the best year of my life. However, there are a few things I wish I would have known before starting college.

This first thing I wish I would have realized is how fast the year goes by. I felt like my senior year of high school went by fast, but nothing compared to freshman year. It's like I blinked and it was already winter break, then I blinked again and it was summer. I think this is because there is so much to do at school, between class, extracurriculars, meeting all new people, and exploring a new place. Sometimes, it can be overwhelming, the feeling as if you should always be doing something. It is important not to forget to relax and take time for yourself. The amount of work and time in which it is due is also a lot different than high school as well, which can be a stressful adjustment as time management plays such a big role in being successful in college. A good way to avoid this stress is to plan out when you will do your work for each of your classes and don't procrastinate (we all do it, but if you can break the habit your freshman-year-old college, you will thank yourself at the end of the year). One thing I wish I would have done was taken more time for myself and not have had the constant feeling like I had to be doing something. So take in all the new experiences, but also don't be afraid to take time for yourself because although freshman year doesn't last forever, you will still have three more years.

That leads me to my next point - which is to get involved. This was a such a big factor in how I made friends my freshman year. College offers so many unique opportunities and it is such a good way to find your passions and people that share those passions. One thing I wish someone would have told me was that there are certain clubs for your major. I am a film major and I joined Delta Kappa Alpha, which is a film fraternity and being a part of this organization has helped me meet some of the greatest people and even better I have made friends who have the same major as me. Making friends in the dorms was one thing I regret not doing my freshman year. So many people talk about how they met their closest friends through their dorms, so don't miss the opportunity of meeting people that are living with you for a year like I did.

Overall freshman year is pretty great. A new beginning. Don't forget about your past though. Keep in touch with your high school friends, answer your mom when she calls you, and text your siblings saying you miss them even if you really don't! Have fun and enjoy because it is most likely going to be the easiest year of school.