The Best Advice I Ever Received For Purses

Some of the best advice that I've ever been given, was given during a trip to Kate Spade and now I'm sharing it with you

11

Growing up I used to follow my mom aimlessly around stores while she catered to her purse collection. Each summer she would pick out some new, fabulous handbag that everyone seemed to stare at or compliment, and of course every Christmas, under our tree there would be a, "From: Mom, To: Mom" bag perfectly wrapped up. At a younger age, I never could quite wrap my head around why one woman needed so many different purses.. to this day I swear I have never seen her carry the same bag twice. And if you even think to question her about whether a purse is new or not, you usually wind up with the same response she gives my dad, "What? This old thing. I've had this FOREVER." Now that I'm older and I like to think that I have my own fabulous purse collection, I now understand the "aimless" wandering around stores trying to find the perfect one.

I have gone through many purse phases. I have my past brands, my current brand, and brands that I dream of owning one day (who doesn't love a good success story concerning a new purse, am I right). My purse collection started whenever I was old enough to start caring about what I wore. No one cares about what bag you carry whenever you're in seventh grade and you're still wearing baggy light-wash jeans and your gym tennis shoes. So my philosophy back in the day was the shinier, the better. Anyone else remember those fantastic one strap, bright sequin bags? I believe mine was in a very flattering teal color, and I probably owned a black or hot pink one as well. Whenever fashion started becoming an interest, the idea of a purse collection came along shortly after.

My collection started with mostly hand-me-downs. The bags that my mom or my older sister got tired of carrying was what got me started caring about brands. I usually wound up carrying a last season Coach bag, but hey, it was my last season Coach purse and I loved it. I loved the idea that someone could see me carrying something with those over-sized, "C's" monogrammed all over, and know exactly what I was carrying. Whenever I got to pick out my very first bag though, it was Michael Kors. I loved that bag, I actually kept it for a few years before re-selling it. No worries, I got a lot of use out of that bag. A new bag every now and then was what I was going for, nothing too routine, nothing too special.

This, however, all changed whenever I walked into a Kate Spade in Orlando, Florida. Whenever looking in the mirror deciding between a beautiful navy blue purse, or one of the seasons floral prints, a kind sales associate gave me the best advice I've ever received while shopping. She told me that the secret to maintaining a good collection is to buy up all of your basic, staple pieces (tan, black, and navy blue, etc.) and then move on to the accent purses used for specific outfits (bright colors, floral patterns, stripes, etc.). And this forever changed how I went purse shopping.

So, in honor of the fabulous sales that Kate Spade always has online, I decided to share a few pieces that represent what I have or what I might own in the future for my personal collection.

The Basics:

This is one of the Cameron Street Candace Satchels that I'm in love with. It's a basic color that should be a staple in everyone's collection but it's given the extra bit of character to set it apart from the basic bags with the white at the top of the purse.

https://www.katespade.com/products/cameron-street-...

From the Orchard Street collection, this bag serves as a perfect navy blue, deep indigo staple bag. The subtle gold accents and the tassel provide stylish features to this bag.

https://www.katespade.com/products/orchard-street-...

I personally believe that for a basic, staple purse color, this fits right in. The smooth, pebble coloring of this bag make it very easy to pair with day to day outfits. As well as extra embellishment on the strap and black tassels make this bag stand out both sensibly and fashionably.

https://www.katespade.com/products/crescent-street...

The Accents:

I love the crimson color of this bag. I am a firm believer that whenever going out it is more efficient to carry a smaller, cross-over bag rather than a full tote or satchel. This specific color I feel like belongs in the accent purses because it is an accessory that makes a statement. Adding a pop to any outfit is a given, which is why it fits into this category. However, this particular bag is also sold in a color blocked white a black, or solid black as well.

One of my all time favorite Kate Spade purses that I own is also a floral bag. I believe that some floral bags can be extremely versatile. Pieced together with the right outfit (like the one above) this purse could be perfect for almost every season. But, also because of the floral print like this bag, and in many others, it makes an amazing bag for both the transition between winter and spring, and spring itself.

One of the newer additions to the Kate Spade collection is the many different snake skin purses featured in Cameron Street. This particular bag comes in a range of colors and also in an adorable over-the-shoulder bag that's just the right size to make the perfect accent piece to any outfit. The color in the picture above makes this purse extremely feminine and classic while the snake skin accents bring an edgier fashion to the bag.

This is a bag trend that I am extremely fond of myself. The sensibility of this trend makes it even better. Becoming an accessory to an outfit, these bags are perfect for days spent wandering around stores, outlets, or downtown. It provides an exceptional amount of space and holds everything that you need. These are also a great way to spruce up your everyday going-to-class campus style.

Also, another tip for those of you who love to save money: show your student ID at check out to receive an additional 15% off!