Advice To The Girl Going Through Sorority Recruitment

Tips on how to ease your nerves and get you excited.

16
Kate Maddox

Sorority recruitment. The nerves, the excitement, the doubt... these are all of the emotions I felt this time last year going through recruitment. I did not even understand what sororities were and what I was going to talk about. The thought of talking to a complete stranger scared the heck out of me. Little did I know that I was going to have so much fun and find my forever friends through this process. I thought that I would share some of my best advice and tips I learned going through the recruitment process. However, remember everyone's experiences are different and you are the only one that can determine how you feel about your process.

Go in with an open mind.

It is so easy to go into recruitment knowing the reputations of each sorority and how you should act so they will like you. I know so many girls who knew what sorority they wanted to be in right off the bat. I was so nervous because I did not anything about any of them and I thought I should have done more research. I soon found out that it was better not knowing the reputations because I was able to form my own opinions about each sorority. It did help that I was out of state student and I did not know anyone. I do understand it is hard to form your own opinions when you already have friends in a sorority and they really want you. But just remember, you can like other sororities. Don't just join the sorority all of your friends are in just because you feel like that is the only choice. You are in control of your experience if you go in with an open mind.

Know what you want out of a sorority.

When I thought about joining a sorority, I really wanted girls who will challenge and support me. I wanted girls who will listen to me and love me for who I am. When I talked to each sorority, I looked for those people that would do just that. I looked for those people who value the same things I do. When you know what kind of things you are looking for, then the process is simple.

Don't be scared to talk about yourself.

Recruitment is all about you. Sororities want to know about what makes you unique. I am not someone who enjoys talking about themselves. I would rather listen to other people talk about themselves. Recruitment really pushed me outside of my comfort zone and allowed me to open up. I got to tell these girls what I am passionate about and what makes me happy. It is so scary at first, but once you get the first house done with it is a breeze. Laugh if you feel nervous. Ask questions about their sorority experience. I promise you that you will have the best time if you just be yourself.

You will find your people. You will find the right fit for you. This process is stressful and hard, and some days you might want to give up, but stick with it. It is so amazing in the end. It is so rewarding in the end. I found my best friends through my sorority. I can not even imagine life without them now. You will find your place. Also, remember you can always go through the process the next year if you need to. Just make sure you are happy and comfortable with your surroundings. Good luck! You got this!