Adulting: The Pros And Cons

Adulting: The Pros And Cons

Why is it that as kids we all want to grow up, but adults want to be kids?

682
Adulting: The Pros And Cons
Someecards

I know I know, I'm not an "adult" because I'm still in college. However, this summer I have gotten a taste of what it is like to "adult." I've learned a lot of key lessons that I would have had to learn eventually. At the same time, I'm yearning to go back to being a "kid" when everything was so simple.

There are so many pros and cons to being an adult but sometimes it just sucks. Everyone has to learn these things at some point. I've known about what it's like to be an adult but when you actually have to do it, it's so much different.

The Pros of "Adulting"

The first pro of adulating would have to be the most obvious: Freedom. As an adult, your parents have a different kind of respect for you. They don't tell you what to do anymore, they just give you their opinion. You get to stay out until 3 am if you want, then sleep all day.

Wanna know what's even better? Money. Okay so you're an adult and you're no longer working at the local restaurant for tips from the old (creepy) men who've known you their whole life. You finally have a pretty good job, making more than minimum wage, working at least 40 hours a week. This means you're totally making more cash then you've ever made! Congrats to you bruh.

Adulting means making all of those cool new jumps and investments in life. For some of us it'd be graduating college and getting married. For others it'd mean buying a new car or maybe even a house. There's something special that comes with signing a lease to your own place.

Even though these are all things to look forward to, there are many things that we look back on and wish we could do instead...

The Cons of "Adulting"

The thing I hate the most in my attempt to adult would be how often I say no. My friend texts me on a Thursday: "hey, we are all going to the bar tonight wanna go?" My response: "I can't, I have to work." It's a gorgeous hot Tuesday morning and I get a text: "let's go out on the lake today!" Me: "I'm at work." You get the point. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. But man I'd give anything to have those crazy summer afternoons that I feel like I took for granted.

Budgeting. Holy cow. I swear every pay check I have I feel the need to spend a little extra on entertainment. Next thing I know, I'm down to $50 and still have a week until the next pay check. Adulting is rough.

All in all, everyone will go through this at one point or another. Some sooner than others. But my advice would be to enjoy the stage of life you're in! If you're a high school kid just enjoying playing some ball and making some cash doing misc. jobs, then love it! If you're in college, living paycheck to paycheck (and off the creepy old guys tips), then embrace it! You still get to go out with your friends, it's fine. If you're like me, getting your first taste of adulting, embrace it. It's still new, exciting and adventurous. You still have time to change your mind if you don't like the career path you originally chose. For the real world adults: we love you, we appreciate you and we are all kids at heart. We love the pros that come with adulting but we all just want to have fun and enjoy life! Wherever you are in life, embrace it and have fun because life is a rollercoaster and it can be a bumpy ride!