Adulting 101: Where To Begin

Adulting 101: Where To Begin

Where should we start when we don't even know what we don't even know?

43
Adulting 101: Where To Begin
Samantha Brancato

Adulting isn’t easy. A lot of basic life skills just aren’t taught anymore and we didn’t learn them from our parents either. So, what do we do about that? We teach ourselves. From cooking to sewing to first aid, we can learn these things ourselves. So, what should we learn first? Where do we find that information? How do we know it’s accurate?

That’s where I step in. I’m no expert, but I did learn a lot of basic skills (and even a few advanced skills) from my family and my college education. I’d like to help you learn these skills. I’m not sure of what you want to learn most, so I came up with a list of things I thought were useful in everyday life.

1. First Aid

From major to minor injuries, it’s nice to know how to patch a person up and what to do in a serious emergency.

2. Cooking A Decent Meal

Being able to feed yourself is crucial to life and it’s not as difficult as it seems.

3. Sewing

Hemming pants and sewing buttons back on are great ways to save money. Why throw out clothes and buy new ones when you can fix them yourself?

4. Finances

Balancing checkbooks, how loans work, and more! Financial stuff gets confusing and it’d be nice to know how the heck those student loans of ours work, wouldn’t it?

5. How to Read Public Transit Schedules

You’ve got to get around somehow – especially if you don’t have a car. Those schedules look like a foreign language sometimes.

6. How to Read Maps

Well, this goes along with reading public transit schedules. Since we have GPS, it’s hard to fathom life without it. However, if you ever lose your signal, your GPS won’t work. It’s helpful to keep a state map handy, but what do all those squiggly lines mean?

7. Vehicle Maintenance

If you have a car, there are things you can do without a mechanic to make sure your baby runs for as long as she can.

8. Troubleshooting Your Technology

Got computer issues? There are all kinds of issues out there, and plenty of ways to try to fix them. Cell phone or tablet not working either? No problem. There’s support for them too.

9. Gardening

Having a garden takes work, but it’s a great hobby and an excellent way to be self-sufficient. In addition, growing your own foods gives you peace of mind regarding where it all comes from.

10. Cleaning

From home to car to laundry, we can all agree that cleaning is one of those necessary evils in our lives. There are plenty of ways to make it easier on yourself and there are also hacks that can clean better than chemicals!

Let me know what you’d like to learn about and I’ll make a tutorial for it!