If You Want A Pet For Christmas, Adopt, Don't Shop
Pets

13 Reasons You Should Head To The Shelter This Christmas Instead Of A Breeder

Why a shelter animal could be a better gift for your loved ones.

188
Hannah Blanton

'Tis the season where every child is putting a puppy or a kitten on their wish list from Santa but before you head to your local breeder to find that "perfect" pup, take a look at these reasons why a shelter animal could be a better gift for your loved ones.

Some of them are already trained!

Need I say more?

Most of the animals that are at shelters have been left behind by prior families which means that they already know what it's like to be in one! Now the only one who is going to need training is you!

All of them are potty trained! 

Just like human babies, pups come with that extra training guide when it comes to potty training.

I don't know about you, but if I could skip potty training, babies or dogs, I would.

Senior dogs are the best dogs! 

Senior dogs are the best dogs simply because most of them are laid back and you won't have to deal with the puppy gimmies that come along with every newborn pup.

Worried about your shoes being ruined? Easy fix, adopt a senior pup!

You can get what you want! 

Did you know that there are hundreds of shelters that solely shelter a specific breed of dog?

From German Shepards to Dachshunds, there's a shelter out there with your best friend waiting!

Puppies and Kittens Exist!

Most people think that shelters don't have puppies or kittens but I'm here to tell you that they are wrong!

While most puppies and kittens are the first ones to get adopted, there are still some waiting for their fur-ever home!

So, call your local animal shelters and see who's there!

Trial & Error

One awesome thing about adopting a dog or cat from a shelter is that you can go see them multiple times before you bring them home!

This way your entire family can make sure that they mesh with the newcomer and that the dog/cat mesh with your family!

This is the best way to adopt the "right" pet because you'll be spending enough time together before you make the huge change of welcoming them into your home!

Spread Some Cheer

Spreading cheer is super easy when you decide to adopt from a local animal shelter! Your new best friend, dog or cat, will thank you for the rest of their lives for giving them a second chance.

P.S. You'll also thank yourself when you realize how great of a pet they are once the 'welcome home' jitters wear off.

Less money, more treats! 

An adoption fee at a shelter is going to cost a whole lot less than what you would be paying a breeder.

Plus, at shelters, they normally keep the animals up to date on their shots and neuter them before leaving the facilities.

You'll be helping more than just the animal you adopt

Sounds too good to be true, right?

Well, think again because when you adopt an animal from a shelter, you're allowing another stray animal to get a new home.

When adopting an animal, you free up their old kennel so then the shelter can open their doors to more animals who are in need.

Talk about the Christmas spirit, am I right?

Fighting Puppy Mills 

When you decide to adopt from a local shelter, you're deciding to fight against the numerous puppy mills that mistreat their animals just so they can get a hefty price for their pups.

Don't support such a lifestyle by buying pets from pets stores or flea market, instead, adopt a homeless animal!

Healthier Animals 

When animals go to shelters, they are given a full physical and are kept in tip-top shape throughout their stay.

This is an easy way to know your best friend's health history and to keep them healthy once you bring them home!

You can set a trend! 

Once you adopt your new best friend, take a picture of them and post it! People will see that you adopted from a shelter and they will be more inclined to do the same!

You are also supporting a great charity and spreading awareness about a community institution — something that is always needed!

You save a life

There are so many dogs and cats that live in shelters their entire life. They enter the shelter when they are young and they stay there until they either pass or the shelter gets overpopulated, which is common, which is when they get euthanized.

Save a life this holiday season by adopting from a shelter, you won't regret it.

Regardless of what you decide to do, when you do get a puppy or a kitten, a senior dog or a teenager, remember that you are their human for life. The only life that they will know is the life that you give them.

Yes, Christmas morning will be spectacular when your child or teenager or friend realizes that they've gotten a pet for Christmas but what is it going to be like once the excitement wears off? When the pup chews through your new snow boots or pees on your vintage rug?

Make sure that you are ready for the lifetime commitment that a pet brings with it.

Be patient, be kind, and never give up on them.

They love you because you are their world.