Adopt A Cat

The Top 6 Reasons To Adopt A Cat Right Now

If dogs are a man's best friend then cats are man's second best friend.

45
Rahma Hassan

Dogs are probably easier to train and more outwardly affectionate which makes them, arguably, get the number one spot. However, cats are also very affectionate but in more subtle ways. I've heard a lot of negative things about cats, such as that they're not really affectionate and don't really care, but I think that is just because some people don't understand them.

In order to really appreciate and understand cats, you need to raise one, or preferably two. I was never a cat person in particular, though I always thought of cats as cute I never quite understood them before raising them myself. I believe cats' traits are more similar to humans than dogs, that's why they're harder to understand. Cats are proud independent creatures and in some cases self-conscious, just like us.

Sometimes cats put on an act to cover-up their fondness of something, or to get you to bring them their preferred food. They're also jealous. You'll notice that, if you have more than one, if you're playing with one of them the other will come and try to get your attention to focus on it. But cats are not so demanding and will give you your space. They won't allow you to walk them on a leash because they don't accept to be controlled, but they will whine for you to give them attention. This is just to say, don't take what you hear for granted without experiencing it for yourself. Which brings me to why I'm recommending that everyone adopt a cat. Here are my top six reasons for you to make a kitten/cat a part of your family.

1. Cats will bring joy to your life.

https://unsplash.com/photos/GtwiBmtJvaU

Besides being cute and cuddly, cats are enjoyable to be around and always do hilarious things. Just watching them go about their daily behavior brings you joy and entertainment. If you have more than one cat you can watch them interact and play which is super fun. On a daily basis, they do unexpected fun things that can uplift your mood and entertain you. It's like having a mini circus at home. This also helps distract you from your problems and stressors, turning a gloomy day into a joyful one.

2. Cats reduce stress.

https://unsplash.com/photos/xulIYVIbYIc

A 2009 study of more than 4000 people over the course of 20 years found that cat ownership helps reduce the risk of heart disease! Their findings suggested that this was a result of cats reducing people's stress levels. That's scientific proof of the benefits of cats. If you own a cat you'll know how soothing it is to stroke your cat and hear them purr. Heart disease is one of the leading causes of death in the U.S., so this is serious stuff. Knowing that your cat can help you cope with it is great news for cat owners and a huge incentive for those who don't yet have one.

3. Cats are more carefree than other pets.

https://unsplash.com/photos/_STvosrG-pw

They are more carefree than dogs, requiring less attention and don't need to be potty trained. Their momma teaches them to use the litter box and they probably do it instinctively too. Cats are very clean. They are prolific clean freaks, always cleaning their coat and paws from any impurities. Dogs are more interactive than cats, but from my experience cats will only give back as much as we put into them. The more you interact with them the closer and more affectionate they will be. So, if you're playing with them and interacting with them consistently, they will come to you and curl up in your lap and even sleep beside you if you allow them to.

4. Cats will always be there for you.

https://unsplash.com/photos/C0zDWAPFT9A

When your human friends leave you all alone, you can come back to your cat who's happily waiting to see you. Cats like to be stroked and cuddled, they will sit with you while you study or watch your favorite show. They are willing to hear you out and listen to whatever you have to say. Just talking to them or sitting with them for a short time can change your mood.

5. They make a great conversation starter.

https://unsplash.com/photos/NodtnCsLdTE

Your cats provide you with endless stories to tell about their behavior. Especially if you're an introvert this can be an easy conversation starter. Most people love to hear about animals and judging by the number of cat videos and pics online I think cats top the list. In addition to that, you can post pics and videos of your own which should increase traffic to your pages online. Now you can tell everyone "check out my page online."

6. There are too many cats stuck in shelters in miserable conditions that need to be cared for.

https://unsplash.com/photos/153_VPk1NZQ

I've seen cats in shelters and they're cooped up in a very small space that doesn't give them the freedom they desire. I'm sure it is a stressful environment for them. I think there aren't enough people that care about cats, so I'm hoping to change this. I believe if more people understand cats we will have fewer cats stuck in shelters and more happy, healthy and stress-free people in our society.

If you love to watch cat videos adopt a cat and make more videos of your own!