how to adjust when traveling

10 Unexpectedly Difficult Adjustments You Have To Make When Traveling

I figured life here wouldn't be THAT different from life in the US. I was a little wrong.

161
Brandy Clymer

Weeks, even months, before departing on your trip to another country, you research and/or hear about the little changes to expect in your day-to-day life while there. Of course, if you're traveling to a country you're already familiar with, or that speaks the same language as your own you don't think much of it. This was my thought process as I prepared to study abroad in England. But, with all the other planning and packing, I figured life here wouldn't be THAT different from life in the US. Um…..here are the top 10 things I found out I was wrong about.

1. Different time zone

Obviously, you know that there is a time difference. You can find it easily on your world clock. But, no matter how much you think you understand and prepare for the time jump, it'll catch up to you. It's called jet lag and it will be the WORST, so get ready. But, if you can push through it, the rest of your trip will go great!

2. New currency

Again, another seemingly obvious part of traveling. But, it is one thing to simply have the currency, it's a completely different thing to use and handle it. I won't lie, more than a week into my trip and I'm still trying to figure out the coins and colorful money. Amateur traveler tip: try not to think about how much you're spending in this currency versus US dollars. It's not pretty.

3. Modes of transportation

If you're from a small town like me, you are used to driving everywhere. Here, in this new place, that's out of the question. I mean depending on where you are, if you're a part of a specific program, and what kind of driver you really are, tread carefully when thinking about driving in a new place. Especially when they drive on the other side of the road. Again, if you're like me, you're not train, bus, and/or, cab-savvy. Unfortunately, that might mean A LOT of walking.

4. Grocery shopping

It takes a couple sweeps of the store before you first, understand what things and products are, and second, where they are. Let's just say I gravitated towards brands I recognized as much as possible. But, being fair, after trying some of the new-to-me options, I would buy again. Just be ready to explore and try new things and experiences…..I mean obviously, you decided to come here in the first place.

5. Clothes shopping

Here is where ignorance really shines, at least for me anyway. Maybe you can easily understand the conversion of sizes, but take that and combine it with trying to find plus-sized options…..definitely a challenge. Be prepared to try a lot of things on and scope out a variety of shops if you want to find some new clothes. Or even find something online.

6. Understanding accents

You think you know what language you will experience while traveling. You don't. Like in the US, there is a selection of dialects, of which you will probably understand none. Just take your time and don't be afraid to ask if something can be repeated. Communication is a two-way street after all.

7. Understanding mannerisms

This one is easily a bigger struggle than the previous one. There is definitely a learning curve for social interactions, which already might not be your strong suit. That's okay. Take your time to get a feel for it, but remember that an awkward encounter isn't the end of the world. Even if they feel like they are…

8. Weather

So, you've packed everything you could possibly need for the expected weather, right? Wrong. Honestly, it's probably best to pack one of every type of clothing you have because there is no way to really prepare for the weather. Sorry meteorologists. I really don't have a tip on this point, just beware of mother nature.

9. Limited clothing options

When you're packing you have all these restrictions. One personal item. One carry-on. One checked bag, at or under 50 lbs. but then you unpack, and it doesn't look like much. It forces you to add a bit of creativity to your wardrobe at least. Try to pack a variety of things, and if you can, a few extras of things you know you'll wear the most. It's also not a crime to be comfortable.

10. Food

This greatly depends on where you are for the extent of your culture shock on this point, but even the fries v chips label here in the UK is a struggle to remember. No matter where you are, try new things. Just also prepare yourself for familiar things to be just a tad "off" or different than you're used to.